Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

I've recently bought (on E-Bay!) a Kato EF57 n-gauge 2Co-Co2 electric locomotive (Japanese prototype, though in this case in a fictitious US Great Northern livery!), and I have a problem with it: I can't work out how to open the loco, i.e. to lift the body from the chassis! This is obviously necessary in order to give it the clean & service it needs - and indeed I'll be wanting to fit a DCC decoder too (long-term, I'm planning on using the chassis for an H0e electric loco I'm thinking about...!).

The instructions are, of course, only in Japanese, and I can't see any screws. I have of course tried gently prising the bodywork sides away from the chassis, trying to find any obvious lugs/catches or anything - but to no avail!

I feel a bit of a prat asking for advice on how to open the loco - but obviously I'm anxious not to damage it.

Could anybody offer any advice?

Thanks very much indeed in anticipation of any help!

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (37201xoIM @ 16 Dec 2008, 21:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi all.

I've recently bought (on E-Bay!) a Kato EF57 n-gauge 2Co-Co2 electric locomotive (Japanese prototype, though in this case in a fictitious US Great Northern livery!), and I have a problem with it: I can't work out how to open the loco, i.e. to lift the body from the chassis! This is obviously necessary in order to give it the clean & service it needs - and indeed I'll be wanting to fit a DCC decoder too (long-term, I'm planning on using the chassis for an H0e electric loco I'm thinking about...!).

The instructions are, of course, only in Japanese, and I can't see any screws. I have of course tried gently prising the bodywork sides away from the chassis, trying to find any obvious lugs/catches or anything - but to no avail!

I feel a bit of a prat asking for advice on how to open the loco - but obviously I'm anxious not to damage it.

Could anybody offer any advice?

Thanks very much indeed in anticipation of any help!

Cheers

****, I had the same problem as you with a Kato SD45 I bought off ebay. Basically you need about 4 hands! the body on mine did eventually pry away from the chassis, but what I thought was chassis was actually body (both silvery grey) eventually I went in at the front with an instrument screwdriver podged in below the coupler and gently prised it off that way. Don't know if this will help

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, Lawrence. That sounds logical - shall give it a try when I'm feeling daring!

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts