Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi All,

Has anyone hardwired the Kato N gauge shikansen trains at all as i have had one on order awaiting fitting for a while and have been told it is an easy conversion to DCC, the one in question needs three decoders fitting.

Many thanks.

Nick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Nick, I am resonably sure that Phil Grainger who writes for Model Rail on DCC has done this and published how in the Magazine. I have his E-Mail somewere if its of any use. Leon.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (leon @ 10 Nov 2008, 20:40) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Nick, I am resonably sure that Phil Grainger who writes for Model Rail on DCC has done this and published how in the Magazine. I have his E-Mail somewere if its of any use. Leon.

Hi Leon,

Welcome to the forum,

I would be interested in his mail if you have it ....could you PM me it .

Best Regards.

Nick.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nick, I have mailed P.G. am awaiting reply, he goes away alot on business so we may not get an instant reply.
regards. Leon.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
QUOTE (leon @ 13 Nov 2008, 16:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Nick, I have mailed P.G. am awaiting reply, he goes away alot on business so we may not get an instant reply.
regards. Leon.

Many thanks Leon, it will be useful to know information, my supplier informed me today the units have gone away for chipping but i will possibly be buying more Shinkansens so the info will be handy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi, Nick, I think you have done the right thing getting someone who knows how to wire up 3 decoders in one train.
if you intend to buy more of the same then you can dismantle and see how its done. Then out with the soldering iron and away you go. However we will await a reply. leon.
PS. had the Shikansen experiance myself two years ago, from Tokyo, what a ride.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
QUOTE (leon @ 14 Nov 2008, 11:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>PS. had the Shikansen experiance myself two years ago, from Tokyo, what a ride.

Glad you got a ride on the Shinkansen Leon

Would like to go myself though i might wait for the maglev trains

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi All
The O series Shinkansen arrived today
fitted with a Digitrax D125 in the power car and two TCS FL4 decoder for the lighting either end, the loco works fine but seems to come to an abrupt stop and start when i control it what are the best CV settings to get a good scale speed for it can anyone tell me please.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hi Nick It sounds like the momentum has not been set

Have a read what CV3 and CV4 are set at

and put in a about 30 for each

My loco's I have not set that high as I only have the test track oval ,I use between 5 and 10 - for my loco's that is about 1.5m to stop from midspeed to zero on the control

Regards Zmil

1 - 9 of 9 Posts