Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put kaydees 5's on goods stock,and would like to convert coaches as well.I find the range confusing-has anybody any firm ideas about which kaydees to use on bachmann and Hornby GWR coaches,some with pockets and some without.?

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Dave, I am sure that if you typed in KADEE ( note - no Y in the word Kadee) into the forum search engine, you should find many replies.

I have used all different types depending on the actual coach & brand.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
Hi Dave

I have used the number 5's mainly but it does depend on your particular coach or wagon and it tends to be a bit of trial and error. I have to make card or plasticard mounts on some of my rolling stock to get the right height and then you have to get the right amount of coupler protruding out from the rolling stock so it will couple up with everything else. Kadee advise that the inside of the buckle be in line with the front face of the buffer!

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Paul

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I run my coaches in sets so I've only needed Kadees on the ends of the rakes.

For those coaches with NEM pockets it's really a case of trial and error. I've used 18s, 19s and 20s but not found anything that will take a 17. The Bachmann MK1s need a 20 but sometimes the pocket is too high. I've got two rakes of MK1s coupled internally in sets with the Bachmann "twin-pipe" coupler, but with Kadee 20s on the ends. On one of the coaches the pocket is too high and I've had to make a stepped coupling, but on the other 3 the number 20 is at exactly the right height. Not sure why - perhaps Bachmann corrected the problem? You can fit 19s to these coaches but it does require some clearance making in the solebar I believe.

My Maunsell coaches will take a number 18 internally provided you remove the corridor end plates, but need a number 19 on the end of the rake for coupling to the locos. Internally I tried the Hornby R8220 close-coupler that is based on the Roco one. But it's not close-coupling by any means! So I tried the real Roco ones - 10/10 for appearance but 5/10 for realiability: kept coming off the rails on points (I think the coupling is just a tad too close) so I've compromised on one real Roco and one Hornby one for each internal coupling. Tried the Hornby-Roco ones on the Bachmann MK1s - again 10/10 for appearance but kept derailing intermittently on points (again I think just too close) so I've gone back to twin-pipe.

Bulleid coaches don't have NEM pockets. For these I've cut off the bar and hook but left the small platform on the bogie. I've then filed the solebar at the back of this level to extend the platform on which I've mounted a Kadee no. 5. This has needed a couple of squares of Plastikard to get the coupling at the right height.

Also what works well going forward may buffer-lock when being pushed, especially over a cross-over, so I've had to revise some fittings to allow for this.

·
Registered
982 Posts
You must not overlook the No16, this will often go in places that a No5 box is too big for and has a long arm which helps over tight pointwork - the Kadees were never intended to be used on stock with buffers! No16 will often work well on stock where the NEM pocket is too high such as the limpet wagon where they can be fitted without any significant surgery to the existing fittings allowing the NEM pocket to be refitted later if you want to remove the Kadee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts