Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took delivery of the class 33 recently but as yet don't have my layout ready to use. I have just got a Gaugemaster rolling road and ran the Class 33 at medium speed for 30 mins each way. By the end of this time the loco was hot to handle on the sides. I took the cab off the model and all looked Ok but I'm no expert! - any ideas on what might be wrong ( in simple language) or am I worrying unduly?

R

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (randolph @ 26 Jul 2008, 22:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I took delivery of the class 33 recently but as yet don't have my layout ready to use. I have just got a Gaugemaster rolling road and ran the Class 33 at medium speed for 30 mins each way. By the end of this time the loco was hot to handle on the sides. I took the cab off the model and all looked Ok but I'm no expert! - any ideas on what might be wrong ( in simple language) or am I worrying unduly?

R

***It shouldn't run hot at all, as there is no "load" on the motor on a rolling road. If its a new loco i'd ask to have it replaced. If its too late for that, then you should probably at least ask for a replacement motor from Heljan.... if the body has got that hot then the motor will have been VERY VERY hot and as it was probably the motor at the root of the problem, it'lll be one step closer to a dead motor

Richard
DCCconcepts

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have the same problem with a vitrains class 37, but don't know the web address to contact them.

Cheers Baz

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
My advice is also to return it - the more people do repairs to brand new equipment the more the manufactures will continue to have poor quality control. As a retailer we would prefer that anything faulty was returned so that the manufacture would get feedback in the event of a quality control issue (certainly the manufactures of the products we stock would anyway).

As Richard says if the body is too hot just think how hot the motor was ! It may be that the mechanism is stiff causing the motor to overheat. As you used the GM Rolling Road what was the current draw ?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (baz @ 26 Jul 2008, 17:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have the same problem with a vitrains class 37, but don't know the web address to contact them.

Cheers Baz

The manufactures :
www.vitrains.it

The UK importers ;
www.hobbyco.net
01908 605686

hope this helps & best of luck !

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Another aspect....if the motor is getting too hot, then remember, a plastic bodyshell might start to melt, or distort....send it back

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Brian

The rolling road was drawing 0.7amps. However I have now set up a length of track and run it up and down for 30 minutes and all was OK. I guess that I did not have the loco sat correctly on the rr which then caused the problem??

·
In depth idiot
7,678 Posts
I have read a lot about this over the years; the good news is that Heljan fit a motor which usually stands up to the punishment. When Heljan produce a loco suited to my modelling location (the announced BTH BoBo) I look forward to pulling it apart to understand the root cause. Hot suspicion is the gear towers being rather stiff as supplied, from what I have seen of a friend's pair of Heljan's 47's.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (randolph @ 28 Jul 2008, 08:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The rolling road was drawing 0.7amps. However I have now set up a length of track and run it up and down for 30 minutes and all was OK. I guess that I did not have the loco sat correctly on the rr which then caused the problem??
I have found that you have to get the rollers "just right" or the loco will not run smoothly - often I find the loco will try to "climb" the rollers so you have to let the loco settle & then re-adjust.

Not too sure if .7amps is a lot for ViTrains as I've never tried one (still awaiting delivery of a couple of ViTrains SNCB 16's) - what is it drawing now on the RR ?

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 28 Jul 2008, 09:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have found that you have to get the rollers "just right" or the loco will not run smoothly - often I find the loco will try to "climb" the rollers so you have to let the loco settle & then re-adjust.

Not too sure if .7amps is a lot for ViTrains as I've never tried one (still awaiting delivery of a couple of ViTrains SNCB 16's) - what is it drawing now on the RR ?

It drawing 0.55amps on the RR and running beautifully and staying cool - not like the weather! - you are quite right about the RR you have to get the rollers just right.

Thanks for the advice R

1 - 13 of 13 Posts