Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently trying to build an old Keyser Met tank. The problem is there are no plans and while the superstructure was easy enough the chassis is quite another thing. Can anyone help with a plan on how to build a chassis and is it worth making one from brass? Any help most welcome.
Mark.

·
In depth idiot
8,464 Posts
Wow, that's straight in the 'deep end'. (I imagine this is the old Wills body kit, as Keyser loco kits were 'complete' with all the parts required to build a - typically very poor - mechanism, and I don't recall them having a Met tank in the range.)

Current favoured technique is an etched brass or nickel-silver chassis kit, no idea if there is or has been one offered specifically for a Met tank; there will be something that can be adapted. Brace yourself for the asking prices of all the necessary parts, which brings us to 'is it worth it?'.

Undoubtedly, and especially for models that are not ever likely to get a RTR model, and are 'awkward' - such as a small 2-4-0T, for which RTR OO offers only one (iffy) example with a substandard mechanism, and poor general construction. There are now good miniature motors and multistage gearbox kits available which can deliver a refined fully concealed drive in even the smallest subjects; but they have to be both positioned with thought, and carefully assembled to obtain the optimum result.

A guidebook on the 'how to' of this topic is handy, here's a classic.

·
Premium Member
2,883 Posts
SE Finecast (who took over the old Wills range) do have a Metro Tank kit (link), who I believe are able to supply the chassis etch separately.

As 34C has mentioned, motor and gearbox 'technology' has come a long way, with some of the best being available form High Level Kits. They have a 'gearbox overlay' sheet and speed calculator which you can use to help plan which will fit.

Regards,

Cameron.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts