Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I've introduced myself in the introductions forum, and was asked to post my drawings for this layout concept.

Set in the contemporary era, in the imaginary Kingdom of Rosebourg, located strategically at the crossroads of Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, and the Netherlands. The layout's focus of attention is the capital city and a few of its suburb cities.
The layout will feature both "heavy rail" and "tram" networks and my initial plans aren't too ambitious about hills and things.

The centre piece of the layout is going to be a slightly elevated 20-track main station. I've negotiated with my parents a floor of one their farmhouse's unused annexes and have a 8m x 13m space to work with (approximately 1000 sq. ft of space)

Here's the plan I think I'll be going with:

Still got plenty of work and scaling to do to make sure it's all feasible. I also haven't pin-pointed which parts I'm going to hide behind scenery and which parts I'm going to keep open (with the exception of the tram line where I've pretty much decided whether it'll be hidden)

I'll post more versions of this plan as I get through them.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good question, one I might come back with questions about - I essentially have a layout for the trains, and a layout for the trams. What would be the most realistic / best to operate scale/gauge for the trams??

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
down load a copy of Xtrack cad( sillub.com) and draw it to scale, start simple and get something running, and incorporate a reverse loop, there's something satisfying about running trains to and from somewhere, it gives amazing timetable benefits.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've probably got a copy of it here somewhere

Looked at quite a few of the CADs and ended up liking 3rd PlanIt on first contact, so I'll probably go ahead and buy it at some point.

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
I've put this comment on your introductory thread but I'll repeat it here in case you don't read the other one.

If this is your first serious layout then I think that it is much too complicated. It will be very easy to get downhearted at the slow pace of progress especially as unlike me you are not retired. I think that it would be much better to start something a lot simpler (which doesn't necessarily mean a lot smaller) and if you complete that, then go on to something more complicated.

Good luck either way. Cheers, Robert.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 2 Dec 2007, 13:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>down load a copy of Xtrack cad( sillub.com) and draw it to scale, start simple and get something running, and incorporate a reverse loop, there's something satisfying about running trains to and from somewhere, it gives amazing timetable benefits.

I'll second that,operation feels more life like

David

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 2 Dec 2007, 14:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've put this comment on your introductory thread but I'll repeat it here in case you don't read the other one.

If this is your first serious layout then I think that it is much too complicated. It will be very easy to get downhearted at the slow pace of progress especially as unlike me you are not retired. I think that it would be much better to start something a lot simpler (which doesn't necessarily mean a lot smaller) and if you complete that, then go on to something more complicated.

Good luck either way. Cheers, Robert.

Hi Robert,

Thanks, I'm keeping an eye on both, so no worries

Fair point, one I'll definetely take to heart! I think I'll go with that idea of at least having something which can be up and running and keep me satisfied before tackling the big dream layout project. In any case, the space isn't going to be ready for a permanent layout without some major investment in flooring at the very least! Also is a good way to practice the motions!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definetely I can imagine that taking me a couple of decades! There's another floor on this annex building which I might be able to use for a smaller "keep me enjoying operations whilst the big one gets built" layout. I'll have to go and do some measuring of the space when I am next at my parents. It will also give me a chance to practice benchwork building and playing with elevating track and all of that...

The problem is that the annex still has its cement flooring on all of the levels, requiring at least DIY or someone to come in... is wood flooring better than carpet?

I am now looking at that initial drawing and even seeing a hidden underground 3rd level for trains that are supposed to represent international trains, i.e. TGVs and things... I am much too blessed with the space!

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (Kimbo @ 2 Dec 2007, 12:53) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've negotiated with my parents a floor of one their farmhouse's unused annexes and have a 8m x 13m space to work with (approximately 1000 sq. ft of space)

Envy envy - I think most of us here can only dream of that sort of space!

QUOTE (Robert Stokes @ 2 Dec 2007, 13:49) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>If this is your first serious layout then I think that it is much too complicated.

I would tend to agree with that statement.

All other things being equal it looks like you've got some good ideas.

Regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is a LOT for a first layout! Perhaps if you build it in stages.... Then you can get to a stage where you can have some fun, rather than a loooong time building.

At the bottom of the plan, it looks like some very small radii. Intentional?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback and advice fellas! I think I'm definetely going to build something smaller to perfect my skills and have something up and running in a much faster time scale.

Let's see, bottom of the plan --- The inside circle is part of the tram line, so that's why that radii has been allowed to be quite small. I'll have to see whether it's feasible on a CAD programme, if not will need to maybe rethink that portion.

Glad to hear that the idea overall though would lead to complex and interesting operations, was definetely going for that!

Now just need to come up with a simpler "get some experience" layout

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Maybe a simple end to end - just to hone those skills?

Regards

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Just a bit of advice based on my own experience of running a layout - make sure that from any edge of the layout you can reach ALL the track work! In my experience locos always stall on pointwork and on hidden track.

Also build up your layout in small stages and test, test and test again to make sure you iron out the problems otherwise you will not enjoy running a layout that does not work smoothly. On my layout I discovered a set of points that always derailed one loco. Everything else was fine. So I had to re-lay 2 points to sort this out. Moral - run all your stock over your layout, backwards, forwards and in different combinations to make sure they all run smoothly all the time.

Look at your layout plan and think of the operation in terms of why it is there - give it a purpose so that you can run trains that give meaning to the track work. I.e run passengers to a branch station, run wood trains to a sawmill, run express trains to a distant location etc etc. Just running the trains randomly soon seems to be pointless. The idea of a timetable fits with my comments about trains for a purpose.

Anyway have fun and if you haven't already done so think about joining a Model Railway Club and get other peoples ideas.

And lastly - think DCC as this will ultimately enhance your operational potential and fun! Plus without it you are going to need several other train mad friends to run your railway. I recommend you look at Railroad and Co software.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE run all your stock over your layout, backwards,
and make it full speed as well, and that includes short wheelbase 4 wheelers!

David

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TGVs at full speed... *drools*

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thought I'd give an update - those of you who have Any Rail (ex DRail) and follow the forums there will already have seen this.

I bought the Any Rail software to help me out and do a layout design - I am very pleased with the result and recommend it to anyone looking for something simple and easy to use. I also have secured from my parents a room where I can do a practice layout to hone in on my skills - it is approximately 25m2

The track design is pretty complete and calls for a bi-level design, though I can run trains in loops at the two levels, meaning that once I complete one of the levels I will be able to run trains whilst I build the other levels.

Any thoughts?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
You are losing a lot of space on those storage lines in front of the chimney because you are branching off a single arm. If you could split with a couple of Y's first on the main lines and then branch off, you might do a lot better.

David

·
Registered
296 Posts
I'll try out that station yard with some Y's - the Tillig Elite lineup in this regard is rather poor - do we have any examples around of a station yard done with Y's? -

In any case I am hoping to have a full-length ICE3 or TGV being able to station there and those things measure pretty much the length that is currently being used. There won't be many ways around it unfortunately!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts