Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this loco about 25 years ago and have never used it, in fact it's still in its box. I am now building my first layout which will be DCC and set in an era of about 1955-60. This loco is in old Southern livery with the number 795 and does not fit my era, so I have decided to sell. What's the best way of doing this an does anyone have any idea of its value.

This topic has not been put here to find a sale but to find information; if the moderator, in his wisdom, thinks it unsuitable then please delete!

·
DT
4,794 Posts
No problem with topics like this. We're going to put in place a classifieds section anyway sometime. I'm just testing the idea on one of our other forums.

A simple answer to your question would be to put it onto eBay and let the bidders bid up to whatever the current market value is for the model. Determined what someone out there is willing to pay for it. You should get a fair price as long as you take a few good photos, describe it well and put it up so that the auction ends at a reasonable time when the breadwinners are at home and not out watching a championship football match or Come Dancing on the box.

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (randolph @ 12 Sep 2008, 12:58) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I bought this loco about 25 years ago and have never used it, in fact it's still in its box. I am now building my first layout which will be DCC and set in an era of about 1955-60. This loco is in old Southern livery with the number 795 and does not fit my era, so I have decided to sell. What's the best way of doing this an does anyone have any idea of its value.

This topic has not been put here to find a sale but to find information; if the moderator, in his wisdom, thinks it unsuitable then please delete!

Hi, if you can give me its make or product number then i can give you a reasonabe price for it. Agreed it would be a good to put it on ebay.

Mark

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (Rayden500 @ 12 Sep 2008, 14:00) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi, if you can give me its make or product number then i can give you a reasonabe price for it. Agreed it would be a good to put it on ebay.

Mark

Sorry me being thick. didnt read the title doh. depending on which version it is, gloss green or matt green its worth between £40-65 in gloss green and £45-70 in matt green.

Hope this helps

Mark

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (Rayden500 @ 12 Sep 2008, 14:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Sorry me being thick. didnt read the title doh. depending on which version it is, gloss green or matt green its worth between £40-65 in gloss green and £45-70 in matt green.

Hope this helps

Mark

prices taken from Ramsays Guide

·
Registered
27 Posts
QUOTE (Rayden500 @ 12 Sep 2008, 14:12) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>prices taken from Ramsays Guide

How old is that guide, though? Won't prices of these have dropped since the new Hornby Arthurs came out?

Mike

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (MikeD @ 12 Sep 2008, 14:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How old is that guide, though? Won't prices of these have dropped since the new Hornby Arthurs came out?

Mike

Its the 5th edition of ramsays guide published 2006 so its not right up to date. Agreed there may be a slight fluctuation in the prices but nothing too detrimental I would of thought. Ive listed stuff on ebay using that as a price guide and its more or less bang on.

Mark

·
Registered
217 Posts
QUOTE (Rayden500 @ 12 Sep 2008, 16:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Its the 5th edition of ramsays guide published 2006 so its not right up to date. Agreed there may be a slight fluctuation in the prices but nothing too detrimental I would of thought. Ive listed stuff on ebay using that as a price guide and its more or less bang on.

Mark

There are those that collect the model, rather than worry about which version it is. For example, I know one collector who refuses to touch anything not built in Margate! What can you do.... Your engine should make good money, as it is an unused example, which is a rare thing. Even so, though, they are only making the bottom end of Rayden's quotes. Good luck!

·
Registered
118 Posts
QUOTE (Fireline @ 13 Sep 2008, 12:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There are those that collect the model, rather than worry about which version it is. For example, I know one collector who refuses to touch anything not built in Margate! What can you do.... Your engine should make good money, as it is an unused example, which is a rare thing. Even so, though, they are only making the bottom end of Rayden's quotes. Good luck!

Fireline is probably right on the prices, i must to confess to not doing much research on that particular item, although as Fireline says it does very much depend on the individual as to what they are prepared to pay.

So again, list and see what happens and good luck

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts