Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm in the process of building a few kit wagons (and enjoying it - or is that the glue?).
The one I'm doing right now has 2 bogies, and I'm not sure what couplings to use. I've used 3-links on the rest so far, and had planned to use 3-links on this one, but given the short wheel base of the bogies on this wagon, I can't see them working at all on any form of curve without pulling the buffer beams apart. I've perused the couplings and hooks discussion earlier in this forum, but there is no mention of suitability of couplings to bogie based models.

Anyone have any suggestions, or should I resign myself to using standard tension lock couplings on this?

·
Registered
65 Posts
The answer depends on the radius curves you use.

Using three link on short wheel base wagons must mean you are using (in 4mm 00) at least 2 foot radius curves, as anything much less when pushing wagons around a curve you will get buffer lock and derail the wagons.

With 2 foot radius curves you shouldn't have any problems with bogie vehicles and three link couplings, albeit the greater the radius the better.

Some of the threee link couples come with the tail of the hook designed to pass through the buffer beam with a spring on the other side, secured by a split pin. Therefore, if the buffer heads of two wagons meet, the hook will pull against the spring and effectivly extend the hook length.

Using sprung buffers also helps stop buffer lock.

The Hornby/Bachmann type couplings are designed to stop buffer lock on sharp curves. (and of course ease of joining two vehicles together).

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm actually using some 1st radius curves too, though as yet I've not had any problems. My 3-link couplings have the spring, and I've not seen them exercised as yet. However, my main problem is not with the short wheelbase wagons, but the 62' borail wagon, which has 2 bogies - my issue is how to use the 3-link couplings - given the amount of swing the buffer beam will see, even on a 3rd radius curve, that would definitely derail wagons.
The suggestion of sprung buffers is a good one - I'll look into those.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts