Model Railway Forum banner
841 - 860 of 927 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #841 ·
Siphon G (Continued)
Now the paint on the Siphon roof has fully dried, next up was to do the bodysides...

For reasons that I have never quite understood, Siphons seem to be brown up-to the first rainstrip rather than just the sides. Some studious masking later, things are ready for spraying....
Wood Automotive exterior Tool Office supplies Art

Tableware Wood Writing implement Office supplies Paint

Paint of choice is some Phoenix P20 Freight Brown, which went down very smoothly through the airbrush!
Shoe Leg Wood Floor Flooring

Wood Gas Electrical wiring Flooring Vehicle door

Things were then put aside on the 'drying shelf' to dry off :) (Helps to keep any settling dust off things)
Automotive design Shelving Interior design Shelf Building

Aaaand now with the masking removed...
Wood Cosmetics Engineering Computer hardware Nail

Wood Engineering Tire Gas Machine

Annoyingly PP only has that paint in Satin, so I'll need to put down a coat of gloss before applying transfers.....

Regards,

Cameron.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #842 ·
I wanted to get a good set of things together and lettered before the next airbrush session, so thought I'd get back onto the Iron Mink Cattle Wagon...

Iron Mink Cattle Wagon (Continued)
As no prototype photos appear to exist later in life, I've decided on my 'best estimates' interpretation of what it likely would be, which I set out in 'Option 1' in my previous post.
Train Wheel Vehicle Rolling stock Locomotive

In actual fact the spacing between the body 'features' works out to a scale ~15", which makes the 16" lettering from Fox a tight squeeze, and actually overlaps the horizontal rib below....

That said, the first side is now done, and I'm very happy with how it has turned out!!
Passive circuit component Circuit component Table Hardware programmer Microcontroller

Wooden Mink 82054
I've also now finished the end lettering which I forgot last time, which is again looking pretty sharp!
Finger Circuit component Thumb Wrist Wood

Regards,

Cameron.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #843 · (Edited)
Tony is a bad influence....

One of these is not like the others...
Train Rolling stock Gas Rolling Vehicle

The plan for these three is generally similar to the first one, but I'll probably try a couple of livery variations, and maybe a 'what if' clasp brake version ('cause why not...)...

Regards,

Cameron.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #844 · (Edited)
Have been doing some idle musings for 'what if' a super-heavy TOAD would be required for something like the S.Wales coal traffic, so have done a couple of 'sketches'...!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior

Thinking of using a couple of venerable Ratio TOADs 'cut and shut' for the body, and some ex-Ratio or Cambrian bogies for below. One day I'd love to have a go at the Rumney Models ones, but probably not for this project!

I haven't yet fully worked out the step boards or the brake gear, particularly on the veranda end... Also wanting to have this one be vacc fitted, but will see how it looks...!

Regards,

Cameron.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #846 · (Edited)
Hi Jim,

Not a bad suggestion, and doesn't look half bad tbh, although arguably faar too symmetric for the GWR....!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Tread

Would need to give thought on where the brake handle would be located, as it probably wouldn't work to have two of them as above!

Regards,

Cameron.

·
In depth idiot
8,346 Posts
Spanner in the works time! This is the last thing you want for the likes of the South Wales coal traffic. The brake force for the loaded down hill trip from the valley pit site was achieved by pinning down an appropriate number of wagon brakes for the speicific route gradient. The engine had to pull the braked train off the yard until on the gradient, when gravity took over in terms of supplying the power for safe slow movement downhill. This enabled a small firebox grate area to be used as the power for the heavily loaded train was only required for the start of the trip, and the fire and boiler presuure could be recovered as gravity 'did the work'.

The return trip of empties against the gradient, the train wanted to be as light as possible for economical working within the capacity of the small grate's power output. The 0-6-2's designed for this work were very carefully balanced designs for getting the job done on minimal coal consumption.

A comfortable riding bogie goods brake van never found much favour, even when fast goods services got going toward the end of C19th. The brake force requirement was taken care of by continuously braked wagons, and the guard would just have to put up with being rattled around in a four or six wheeler, pretty much to the end of operations with goods guards. (When the GNR and then LNER employed heavy vac braked bogie wagons at the head of coal drags to enable them to be moved faster by having additional brake force available, it was bricks that had the better ride...)

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #848 ·
Spanner away! I suppose I had forgotten that the South Wales coal traffic was very much a downhill affair...! Thinking about it, it explains why the likes of the 28/52/72xx etc were all such small fireboxes compared to some of the 'beasts' which the likes of the LNER had!

Your point about continuous brakes is a good one, as it would reduce the need of the braking force on the brake van itself, thus mean that such a heavy van wouldn't be needed anyway...!

Looks like it'll just be one of those experimentals with good intentions thet never got more than one prototype...! :D

Regards,

Cameron.

·
In depth idiot
8,346 Posts
Not radical enough! Put the veranda in the middle and have a winter cabin end with stove, and a summer cabin end with a double roof, adjustable vents and a dynamo powered fridge.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #851 ·
Not radical enough! Put the veranda in the middle and have a winter cabin end with stove, and a summer cabin end with a double roof, adjustable vents and a dynamo powered fridge.
Ask and ye shall receive...! :ROFLMAO:
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Rolling stock

(Vents are on the end, so not visible :p)

Regards,

Cameron.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #852 ·
Back to the 'real world' for a bit....! I've tackled one of the rake of Dublo MICAs bought last week in a similar manner to the first one...!

A similar treatment of carving off the moulded handrails and replacing with some 0.3mm NS wire. I've managed to be slightly more consistent this time around with the placement, and also did a slightly better job with the flattening of the LHS door grabrail mounting, which IMHO improves the look.
Wood Rectangle Wood stain Hardwood Tree

Similarly I've also spent a bit more time this time on the pre-paint preparation, including actually properly scraping off the printed lettering this time... (If you look closely at pictures of the first one you can see the 'ghost' of the original lettering through the paint, as-per the second photo....)
Musical instrument Electrical wiring Wood Musical instrument accessory Electronic device

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper Vehicle door

One thing I did notice with this one was that the plastic was clearly more UV damaged and brittle whilst carving off than the first one. Fortunately this was still controllable with a new blade in the knife...!

An inital coat of Halfords white primer has now been blown over as well, and I'm much happier with the paint finish this time around...!
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fender

Electronic engineering Gas Engineering Electronic component Electrical wiring

Regards,

Cameron.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #855 ·
Iron Mink Cattle Wagon [MEX] (Continued)
My poor filling of the vents highlighted in the previous post (below) has now been resolved with some studious application of filler and brush-painting on some more PP GWR grey....
<snip>

</snip>
Much better...!
Circuit component Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive design Automotive tire

Circuit component Motor vehicle Hood Bumper Automotive tire

The 'matt-ness' isn't particuarly even, however as the entire thing will be given a coat of varninsh once the letters are completed, I'm not overly concerned...!

Regards,

Cameron.

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #857 ·
Hi I would say it looks pretty good and honest I did not know that somebody had made one . I take it it was a neverwas and not a prototype . Jim
Neither did I until randomly browsing eBay, which was weird timing...!

I've not seen any reference to it in any of the books I've got, and as 34C raised there probably wouldn't have been a 'market' for them in reality....!

Regards,

Cameron.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Have been doing some idle musings for 'what if' a super-heavy TOAD would be required for something like the S.Wales coal traffic, so have done a couple of 'sketches'...!
View attachment 21128
View attachment 21129

Thinking of using a couple of venerable Ratio TOADs 'cut and shut' for the body, and some ex-Ratio or Cambrian bogies for below. One day I'd love to have a go at the Rumney Models ones, but probably not for this project!

I haven't yet fully worked out the step boards or the brake gear, particularly on the veranda end... Also wanting to have this one be vacc fitted, but will see how it looks...!

Regards,

Cameron.
Lord Above! I am sorely tempted!

Tony

·
Premium Member
2,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #860 ·
841 - 860 of 927 Posts