GWR Outside Frame Siphon G No.1359
I also managed to pick up an Airfix Diagram O11 Outside-framed Siphon G when at Ally Pally in March, so decided to perform a similar superdetailing exercise as I did last year with the inside-framed Lima example. STEAM museum has a nice clear image of No.1359
on their images store, which I thought would be a good subject.
The model I bought was painted in the much later BR maroon livery, however I didn't see that as an issue as it would be being repainted anyway.
As I did with the Siphon H, I've elected to retain the supplied Airfix bogies for now, simply re-wheeling to Gibson to replace the plastic-tyred ones, as although not perfect, they're ok for a 'layout' model. (Is also fairly easy to revisit in future if I change my mind). The one improvement was to hack-off the coupling mount, which I think greatly improves the look.
For some reason the model seems to have its main mould gate front-and-centre in the middle of the roof, which leaves a rather ugly mark in a very obvious place....! This was given a light sanding before a light dose of filler (Mr Hobby 1000)...
I also wasn't 100% happy with the roof-mounted gas lamp tops- their base appears to 'blend' into the surrounding roof a tad more than looks right to me....
The top was therefore snipped-off with some side-cutters, drilled-out and roughly pared-down with a scalpel.... This would then be sanded-down smooth and replaced with some whitemetal castings from Dart Castings
Attention then turned to the ends of the body - the grab rails projecting down from the roof are a very distinctive feature of these Siphons, so I decided that the moulded-on ones had to go.... These were again carefully pared-away using a fresh scalpel blade before a light sanding to blend-in. The planks (where the rail used to be) were re-scribed using an old blade to ensure all traces of the moulded one were removed.
The grabrails themselves were formed using lengths of 0.3mm NS wire - although less bad than on the MICAs, they are still a right PITA to form neatly.... Although you can see from the below photo that they're not perfect, but I do still think they present a massive improvement from the moulded ones.
One of the other distinctive features of the OF Siphon Gs was the Churchward lamp irons at each end. - Dart Castings/Frogmore
once again come to my rescue with a nice etch, however I did have some reservations. As these would be mounted on the ends of the body they would be quite vulnerable to handling damage, particuarly if only glued on, therefore I decided to drill-out one of the rivets, and solder-in a small length of NS wire, followed by bending to shape.
I have run-out of attachments on this post, thus more to follow later....