Model Railway Forum banner

Kiwionrails' Work Bench

176K views 1K replies 72 participants last post by  kiwionrails 
#1 ·
Yep it's me again, starting another project

Well here we go.
I'm converting an old hornby GWR 0-4-0 to a short tender loco.

The tender is a converted coal wagon that contains a plumbed in water tank and coal space.There will also be extra pickups in the 'tender' to improve slow running, with it also housing the decoder and capasitors (a Zimio MX64 (1.2A) OO/HO 'Wires only' decoder)

Thoughts and comments apprishieatd

Regards

Kiwionrails

See less See more
#3 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 23 Oct 2009, 07:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Conversions like this are very common in On30. Go for it !

Thanks

This is loosely based on an artical i saw ages ago on the fact that on some of the "Pugs" they sometimes put a coal wahon on the back so they could run for longer.

Regards

Kiwionrails

#4 ·
Looks like you're trying to catch up with me for projects "on the go".

What with the cliff railway, the railway and it's room, assorted model bus mods and a couple of building kits I've hardly got anything to do except a new kitchen ceiling, some titivation on SL, and clearing the front of the house.

keep us posted on this one.

Regards

#5 ·
Kiwi, how about adding a front leading axle to make it a 2-4-0. Many early railways used the arrangement, with the Great Eastern system using them right into BR days.

#6 ·
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 23 Oct 2009, 12:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks like you're trying to catch up with me for projects "on the go".
OH i've got loads more than is on here.
so let me see
  1. website
  2. model boats restoration
  3. Bike
  4. other school h/w
  5. Trefechan Cove
  6. The triang hall
and many more besides

QUOTE (60B @ 23 Oct 2009, 13:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Kiwi, how about adding a front leading axle to make it a 2-4-0. Many early railways used the arrangement, with the Great Eastern system using them right into BR days.

I thought about that but i can't seem to get it right

Thanks for all your kind comments

Regards

Kiwionrails

Many more projects on the way!

#7 ·
I'm also in the process of (slowly) fitting all my locos with DCC.
The "GWR Tender 0-4-0" i'm going to fit a TCS T1 in the loco and have current pickup in the tender via a 2 Pin Micro Connector

For my other GWR 0-4-0 i'm thinking about installing the MX620 4 function 'wires only' 'N' decoder and then get the SPEIKOMP Un-interruptible Power supply kit.

For my Old Triang Dean Single i'll be fitting the Zimo MX63 (1.2A) 'Wires only' HO/OO decoder and again the SPEIKOMP Un-interruptible Power supply kit, it will also have pickups in the tender via a 2 Pin Micro Connector.

The Lima Small Prairie i'm going to fit the Lenz LE1025 that i have sitting at home.

Total for all decoders etc is..£113.65
OUCH!!

Looks like i've got some saving up to do

Regards

Kiwionrails

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
In terms of the 0-4-0 i've been doing some detailing on it, such as fitting brass wire handrails
Before(well sort of, this is my other 0-4-0
)

And after(but i've still got some more work to do because i ran out of handrail knobs
)

I'm also planning to remove the whistle surround

Regards

Kiwionrails

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Before the handrail Knobs ran out i decided to fit some to my Lima Small Prairie. I also test fitted the decoder with sellotape but i will not be fully fitting it until i get some 1.8mm LEDs to fit in the molded lamps(bottom Pic).

well here are some pics!

Regards

Kiwionrails

#11 ·
QUOTE (shedmad66 @ 26 Oct 2009, 15:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looks good Kiwi, like the spiplicity!
Thanks Shedman

As for simplicity, well it might have started off that way but

Remembering the fact that my layout is mostly track set in the dockside i thought that it might be an idea to add some brass angle skirts, they will be of soldered construction and enclose the wheels of both the loco and the "tender".

Regards

Kiwionrails

#13 ·
QUOTE (shedmad66 @ 26 Oct 2009, 16:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hope you have decent solering iron then, or it will be a pain in the you know what other wise

Personally mine's rubbish but my dad has a good 15W and 25W and my mum has a really good 100W one that she uses for stained glass.

Regards

Kiwionrails

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
QUOTE (kiwionrails @ 26 Oct 2009, 13:03) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ahh - the good old "Barry Island" look - all you need now is a couple of guys with a cutting torch.

Regards

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Back to the 0-4-0 tender loco
For the tender, as mentioned preveosly i intend to use a wagon underframe for the tender. I was going to buy a cheapo old one off fleabay but i decided that i wouldn't have the heart to cut it up
. So i've decided to get this...

It's a "Peco R-20 9/10ft Underframe Kit". and only £3.75 + £1.50 P&P

in it's description it says:
Wonderful Wagon Underframe Kit. Incorporates the special features of the latest Mk IV kits in your own wagon building. This underframe kit includes a choice of either 9ft wooden type of 10ft metal type solebars, sprung metal buffers, working axlebox springs, accuratly detailed brake gear and mountings for two types of coupling. designed for use with Peco wheels, bearings and couplings all available seperately
I'd scrach build a body ontop usinf balsa(the planking) and plasitcard(the waer tank).

Regards

Kiwionrails

#20 ·
QUOTE What does it mean by working axlebox springs?

If my memory is correct, the axlebox assembly is make from a flexible plastic so the leaf springs have a bit of give in them.

David

#21 ·
the marvellous old Peco Wondeful Wagons, with their beautiful printed PO wagon sides, their nice detailed, smooth-running sprung chassis...I search them out where possible these days....their qualities rather put today's offerings a bit to shame...

I don't think they really needed springing, but even so.......................they had a cast metal undershell which gave them a satisfying amount of 'heft'.......

#22 ·
Back to the Prairie
I've installed the decoder and LEDs

Tail lights, independantly controlled, and amber LED for the firebox(on Lenz Decoders how do you get the "flicker" that you can on the TCS decoders.)

Unfortunaly you can still see the motor and wires thruogh the cab windows

Regards

Kiwionrails

#24 ·
Very nice!
Dont let frame 69 see those lego buildings tho!

#25 ·
QUOTE (wolverton bloomer @ 29 Oct 2009, 18:10) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>!
Dont let frame 69 see those lego buildings tho!

No, he'd probably try and make a beer mug out of them

Regards