Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Kleinbahn are a little known Austrian secret and an exclusively Austrian model railway company who only sell through a small number of factory shops in Austria and the HO models of locomotives, coaches and wagons are remarkably low priced. I mention this because a Warley MRC club member bought some of his Kleinbahn items in tonight and I was gobsmacked by the quality of the models relative to the prices paid. You can literally only buy these models if you visit Austria and visit one of their factory shops. You cannot buy online and the models rarely turn up on eBay and when they do nobody bids as nobody has heard of them! The models are packaged in a plain rectangular card box and wrapped in tissue paper in the style of early Triang or Dublo and are not suited to mail order.

Kleinbahn are to continental HO what Playcraft were to Triang and Dublo in the early 1960's. Massively cheap!

They have a website with a PDF pricelist.

www.kleinbahn.com

I would highly recommend that any railway modeller visiting Austria check the Kleinbahn factory shops out as you will pick up a quality loco for £45, coaches for under £10, wagons for £3 and track for 50p! Such factory outlets in the UK would be a massive turn on for the ordinary public let alone railway modellers!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Gary @ 11 Jul 2007, 07:36) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Kleinbahn are a little known Austrian secret and an exclusively Austrian model railway company who only sell through a small number of factory shops in Austria and the HO models of locomotives, coaches and wagons are remarkably low priced. I mention this because a Warley MRC club member bought some of his Kleinbahn items in tonight and I was gobsmacked by the quality of the models relative to the prices paid. You can literally only buy these models if you visit Austria and visit one of their factory shops. You cannot buy online and the models rarely turn up on eBay and when they do nobody bids as nobody has heard of them! The models are packaged in a plain rectangular card box and wrapped in tissue paper in the style of early Triang or Dublo and are not suited to mail order.

Kleinbahn are to continental HO what Playcraft were to Triang and Dublo in the early 1960's. Massively cheap!

They have a website with a PDF pricelist.

www.kleinbahn.com

I would highly recommend that any railway modeller visiting Austria check the Kleinbahn factory shops out as you will pick up a quality loco for £45, coaches for under £10, wagons for £3 and track for 50p! Such factory outlets in the UK would be a massive turn on for the ordinary public let alone railway modellers!

Happy modelling
Gary

Sounds like a trip to Austria would be the go!

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Kleinbahn are actually quite well known to modellers of "things european". They are good value but nowhere near the overall quality of the majors.

The "Hobby" type ranges from the likes of Piko (OHE with 8 wheel drive/pick up, central motor, working lights & perfomance to match for around £45) & Roco (diesel same spec as Piko around £35) which are extremely good value for money are also worth looking at - best it all - no QA problems either !

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i never know where i can buy the roco hobby range (i like to examine the loco and see it running before i buy it.). i have a couple of the Piko loco's aand they are great. the taurus is fantastec. i have seen mine and the posh one side buy side and i am happy to have saved £150 for the marginal loss in quality.
I also have one of the diesels. i with they would put the goggles in the hobby range. i would hapily buy half a dozen if they did.

Peter

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 11 Jul 2007, 11:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i never know where i can buy the roco hobby range (i like to examine the loco and see it running before i buy it.).

Peter

If it's any good to you we can supply - we can always test it for you & in the unlikely event of a problem refund/replace & pay the postage as well. BTW - we run 2 of the Hobby/Playtime SNCB 59's on St.Laurent with no problems (as well as 3 Piko Hobby SNCF ones).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Could it be that you mistook "Kleinbahn" with "Klein Modellbahn"?

The companies are run by two brothers who have become mortal enemies over the years. They had inherited a toy factory, and divided it up a few decades ago, complete with walls having been built through rooms and production halls in the factory building. Seems, they eally hate each other´s guts.

Kleinbahn makes "old fashioned" toys, usually the models are shortened so that they can negotiate tighter curves, little detail, no close couplings, and motors that remind you of why Austria (along with Germany) lost World War 1.

Klein Modellbahn makes slightly pricey, but beautiful engines with good motors, lots of detail, close coupling. The packaging, however, is the worst I´ve ever encountered - a flimsy cardboard box with the model - car or engine - wrapped in tissue paper.

Here´s an offering by Klein Modellbahn as an example (EUR 220 plus s+h):

The models do have a slight "plasticky" look to them, but not as bad as it appears on the pictures. You can compare them and the overall quality to the better continental Heljan models, I guess.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50)If it's any good to you we can supply - we can always test it for you & in the unlikely event of a problem refund/replace & pay the postage as well. BTW - we run 2 of the Hobby/Playtime SNCB 59's on St.Laurent with no problems (as well as 3 Piko Hobby SNCF ones).

Normally at this stage i would contact you off forum but as this thread seems to be developeing into a budget continental thread please could you post some pictures of the Roco hobby loco's on here?

I am off to China very soon but i may well take you up on the offer when i get back.

peter

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 11 Jul 2007, 14:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>as this thread seems to be developeing into a budget continental thread please could you post some pictures of the Roco hobby loco's on here?
peter

Will do, although I've been trying to post a picure for BRITHO for the last 3 or 4 days !

Have a safe trip anyway.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (dbclass50 @ 11 Jul 2007, 16:27) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Will do, although I've been trying to post a picure for BRITHO for the last 3 or 4 days !

Have a safe trip anyway.

Ah yes but for the tittilation of our members

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Could it be that you mistook "Kleinbahn" with "Klein Modellbahn"?

The companies are run by two brothers who have become mortal enemies over the years. They had inherited a toy factory, and divided it up a few decades ago, complete with walls having been built through rooms and production halls in the factory building. Seems, they eally hate each other´s guts.

I was advised that the two companies should definitely not be confused as the products of one are more expensive than the products of another. Kleinbahn is definitely the company offering product at the lower prices. From what I saw of the products you get a lot for your money with the articulated mini crocodile loco having 2 very large motors and working pantagraphs and all wheel drive and pick ups for just £55! Now whether this means the models should be classified as "budget" is an entirely seperate issue.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 12 Jul 2007, 00:32) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I've got one of the Roco budget models that I got with a starter set and they are very good value for money. It came with a DCC decoder too.

This one is priced at 54 Euros so 30 quid and that's before it's discounted.

It's actually based on the 70/80's tooling but they are extremely good value for money - I'm surprised that we do not see the chassis of these (& other "Hobby" type loco's) lurking under some UK diesels (unless, of course they already do & none admits to it).

·
Registered
182 Posts
We visit Austria each summer, and I have made a few purchases from both Klein Modellbahn and Kleinbahn.

Klein Modellbahn have/had a shop in Salzburg, run by a very nice lady, she even called a taxi to take us to the airport after our last vist a couple of years ago!

Sadly, I read (I think in Model Rail Intenational) that Klein Modellbahn were closing down at the end of March this year. I do not know if this has happened, and would be grateful if anyone can confirm this (Goedel ??). We were hoping to visit the Salzburg shop again this August, if it still exists?

Kleinbahn used to have shops in both Salzburg and Innnsbruck (as well as a few other Austrian towns and cities), but the Salzburg shop closed 2 or 3 years ago. Again, I don't know if the Innsbruck shop is still open.

I found both the Klein Modellbahn ad Kleinbahn shops magical experieces, like walking back to the 1960s. Nice but basic colour light signals and switches available in both shops (showing the common parentage. Kleinabhan do an interesting electric turntable that was fairly cheap too.

Kleinbahn seemed to have kept their models unchanged, whereas Klein Modellbahn had upped the games in the detail stakes, and have even produced some Austrian Double Decker coaches for Marklin about 3 years back.

If anyone has any current information on either company, I would be very grateful. In a couple of days I am going to be off line for a while due to a house move, so please don't be offended if I am unable to reply.

Thanks
Ashley

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (ashleyh @ 16 Jul 2007, 12:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...Sadly, I read (I think in Model Rail Intenational) that Klein Modellbahn were closing down at the end of March this year. I do not know if this has happened, and would be grateful if anyone can confirm this (Goedel ??). We were hoping to visit the Salzburg shop again this August, if it still exists?...

Nope, Mag. Oskar Klein worked out a way to carry on with Klein Modellbahn. On German forums, and KMB´s website, however, they wrote that they will limit their range and that they want to emphasize on Ep. I and II Austrian rolling stock, and Ep. III and V goods cars.

They still should be around - which is really good news for me, as I want to grab hold of their class 429 steamer some day.

·
Registered
209 Posts
A friend of mine has just purchased a Kleinbahn D93 Loco. I have tried in vain to find any
paperwork such as a manual or spares paper on the net. Has anyone got one to copy?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Is this an MRF record for reviving the longest dead thread ? Just wondering.

I also had a look at the Kleinbahn shop in Vienna but it was crude and reminded me of old Triang models.
I understand they did pack it in a few years back. I think they only survived so long by supplying Austrian prototypes.

It might be an idea to try to find a collectors club or group on the net, doubtless it will need to be a German language search.

Andrew

1 - 17 of 17 Posts