Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Hope i find you all well now for a moan
GT3 faults the front bogie poor design / driving wheels loose on axles/ back to backs way out on drive wheels and bogie.
keeps derailing only loco in fleet to do so .
So removed sound decoder and will fit into Dapol o pannier.
Before you ask cant send it back now in pieces in bin hav'nt done that in a while lol.
Have fell loco on order will keep in box until confindent it will run otherwise will sell on
Feel better sharing that .
Thanks for your time and paitence
Steve

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
Even shorter time in service than the prototype then. I am sure you could recoup some of the purchases price by selling it, even if dismantled...

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When i said in bits i do mean bits very small bits still got sound decoder that works ok
oh and the badge lol

·
Boghouse Cleaner
404 Posts
So not all bad then.

·
Boghouse Cleaner
404 Posts
Ok, thanks for the suggestion. Have a nice day.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Just had a look at a GT3 on the net ,looks like the bin is the best place for it, I'll stick to good old GWR lol, sad to hear you have had problems, hope you have better luck next time Jim .

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don’t you dare say anything like this against the GT3 over on the RMweb forum.....people get castigated for complaining it’s difficult getting out of the wrapping

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
@Chatham Flyer - have you relayed your findings to the manufacturer ?

Sounds like a pretty poor model - driving wheels which are loose on axles are a serious problem to maintaining quartering. Likewise, B2B's being inconsistent is also a problem.
I thought manufacturers had grown out of such errors when Mainline/Palitoy ceased to be available ? Although Bachman did perpetuate it for a while but improved it by using square end axles.

Going off topic:

As for people being castigated for complaining it's difficult getting something out of the wrapping on the site that will not be named, said website also promotes 'opening the box' videos. I can't honestly think of anything more boring, amaturish and time wasting than an analysis of a box. Most normal people are interested in what's inside the box and whether it looks good or runs well. A box is a given and requires no analysis. Mind you, I suppose it does allow the video makers to extend their few minutes of fame with a 'look at me, aren't I clever with my latest cheque-book modelling ?'. How about some actual modelling instead of boasting about one's latest purchase ?

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
I believe that KR Models are getting sufficient feedback from those that have returned models with faults; always the best way when something is significantly not as it should be. This is doubly important when the product is from a new entrant, they need to know how well or otherwise the manufacturing partner performs when in production mode. (The assembly test samples will probably have been fine, but they will have been specially assembled. The acid test is always whether the items from the production run can consistently match the satisfactory samples.)

There's been mention of KRM having some replacement parts made of the bogie frames and handrails which have caused trouble. What I have seen reported suggests that this model has the bones to be a good product, with attention to fixing details in parts design and assembly. Hopefully KRM learn where the deficiencies originate and systematically improve on the next product or second batch. As ever, you only learn all you need to know by actually doing, and anyone with the blood spattered T-shirt from having had a significant role in manufacturing an all new product for the first time will confirm.

QUOTE (Graham Plowman @ 26 Apr 2021, 01:54) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>...Sounds like a pretty poor model - driving wheels which are loose on axles are a serious problem to maintaining quartering. Likewise, B2B's being inconsistent is also a problem. I thought manufacturers had grown out of such errors when Mainline/Palitoy ceased to be available ? Although Bachmann did perpetuate it for a while but improved it by using square end axles.
Let's face it Graham, 'The manufacturers' are a large collection of independent outfits in China, of widely varying size and technical capability. The sorry tale of DJM well illustrates this, the product utilised elements of the split chassis technique that we were happy to see the back of after Bachmann ceased using it (and iced the cake with a few more cranky notions from who knows where?) Even the well proven centre motor both bogies driven mechanism template wasn't safe! In short, all the obsolescent technique, deficient process control and a plenitude of poor ideas are lurking out there...

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 26 Apr 2021, 19:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Let's face it Graham, 'The manufacturers' are a large collection of independent outfits in China, of widely varying size and technical capability. The sorry tale of DJM well illustrates this, the product utilised elements of the split chassis technique that we were happy to see the back of after Bachmann ceased using it (and iced the cake with a few more cranky notions from who knows where?) Even the well proven centre motor both bogies driven mechanism template wasn't safe! In short, all the obsolescent technique, deficient process control and a plenitude of poor ideas are lurking out there...

We are in agreement.
One example of the 'large collection of independent outfits' I have personally experienced is driving axle sizes changing between releases on Bachmann's WD 8F and axles lengths changing between different releases of their TEA tankers. This happens because the contracts are put out to different suppliers in China.

QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 27 Apr 2021, 03:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is nothing wrong with split chassis mechanisms provided the correct materials are used; the Triang Rocket was split chassis.

Personally, I think split chassis can work well if implemented correctly and with all parameters properly accounted for. For example, a sturdy insulated axle centre is required which maintains quartering and B2B's and doesn't split. The materials used for the wheels and chassis blocks need to be good conductors, possibly with some form of sprung compensation like Mainline did on 4-6-0 centre drivers. And the whole thing needs to be constructed in a way that enables a DCC decoder socket to be fitted and connected electrically to the chassis block, while the motor is isolated. The actual implementation was such that you just couldn't solder anything to Bachmann chassis blocks!

Bachmann's later split chassis weren't too bad - I have a 'Mere Hall' which runs pretty well. The motor could have been improved, but once an ESU Lokpilot was fitted, it runs like a dream. Similar results with Zimo's. To be honest, I think a lot of my Bachmann steamers didn't run too well was because I was using TCS decoders (now long replaced) which didn't have BEMF. I think there are better decoders around than TCS these days.

For those who have had problems with the GT3, let's hope that KR resolve the issues.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
QUOTE (butler-henderson @ 26 Apr 2021, 18:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>There is nothing wrong with split chassis mechanisms provided the correct materials are used; the Triang Rocket was split chassis.
No argument here. It was the low cost implementation in the Mainline/Bachmann steamer mechanisms; particularly the very thin plating on the contacting surfaces in the conduction path which wore away rapidly, that was the problem as far as I was concerned. (I am an operator above all else, and the plating was worn through to the mazak on average within 6 years, well before the flimsy axles/cracking gears/swelling wheelface inserts became a problem. While the replacement mechanisms were cheaply available, out with worn out, bung in new, 'sorted', was an adequate remedy that kept the operation going.)

I own and operate a fair number of currently sold models from three different manufacturers that collect track power on the split chassis principle, and all are most satisfactory: because the implementation is much superior. It's noticeable that none of them advertise the models as 'split chassis' however, such is the poor rep. that hangs around this principle ...

·
Registered
49 Posts
My statement as to “opening the wrapping” was tongue in cheek, the basic premise being over on the other site if you criticise the GT3 model you may as well duck and cover, it is almost held as a deity it appears.
There have been people complaining of a few issues but they get told just tell the manufacturer, rather than helped by the forum.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
QUOTE (kingjim @ 18 May 2021, 02:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi look on you tube Sams trains he sorted the front bogie out it might help Jim

I really can't take Sams Trains playing trains on the carpet seriously. I can't think of a better way to get models full of dust, grit, dirt and hairs - exactly what manufacturers recommend avoiding!

Street cred would be a whole lot better if he built a proper layout and did his reviews on that.

·
In depth idiot
7,677 Posts
QUOTE (Graham Plowman @ 18 May 2021, 08:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I really can't take Sams Trains playing trains on the carpet seriously. I can't think of a better way to get models full of dust, grit, dirt and hairs - exactly what manufacturers recommend avoiding...

From a modelling perspective he's an incompetent. But I do hope the RTR OO manufacturers are watching, they should be! Because this is representative of what a sector of their customer base will do with the product, and have problems in consequence.

With Hornby in the van, the UK's RTR OO suppliers don't put in anywhere near enough effort at appropriate expectation setting, with clear segregation of their product lines:

This is suitable for the carpet railway train set. Kick it across the room if you want, let the puppy chew it, etc..

This is only suitable for a layout on a baseboard which is clean and stable.

This is intended for operation on a carefully constructed layout on a baseboard: for optimum performance as a minimum use one of Peco's flexitrack systems, or the equivalent product from other producers, instead of our shoddy set track.

·
Premium Member
893 Posts
Graham, you said

QUOTE I really can't take Sams Trains playing trains on the carpet seriously.

I don't know if you've noticed, but not only does it take 5-7 minutes before 'it' actually comes out of the box, he then as if automatically, picks up, then dangles tender locomotives by the tender !!!
So many other points of mirth...

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
QUOTE (34C @ 18 May 2021, 20:38) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>From a modelling perspective he's an incompetent. But I do hope the RTR OO manufacturers are watching, they should be! Because this is representative of what a sector of their customer base will do with the product, and have problems in consequence.
His videos all seem to show taking things out of boxes (often with a fascination about the box!), running them around the carpet and then stacking them up on the shelf behind on the wall. All part of the new 'look at how many locos I have, aren't I clever ?' breed. I call these types 'plonkers' - they take stuff out of boxes and plonk it on the track. No evidence of any modelling or ability thereof.

The thing I find disturbing is that he is treating high quality, expensive models as toys and they should be given more respect.

QUOTE (6991 @ 18 May 2021, 21:17) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I don't know if you've noticed, but not only does it take 5-7 minutes before 'it' actually comes out of the box, he then as if automatically, picks up, then dangles tender locomotives by the tender !!!
So many other points of mirth...

I hadn't noticed, but it is consistent with not giving high quality, expensive models the respect they deserve and treating them as toys.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts