Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dennis's site is interesting.

One link that caught my eye. Women of the Railway.

QUOTE You do a double take every time you see her throwing a switch, riding the point, and controlling 4400 horses of diesel electric power.

Who is this woman of iron, this creature of beauty?

Where did she come from? Where will you find her when she's not riding the rails as an engineer, conductor or yard

I wonder?

We should do a feature on women of the model railway. Tea making, crumpet toasting, support when things go wrong "its only a hobby dear!".

That sort of thing.

Are there actually any lady modellers out there?

Now you all know what I mean don't you!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
There are ladies out there who model as well as support us men in our efforts:
Ann Sibley: Loosley Warren - a 'Z' layout - see Railway Modeller Sept 2005 page 580.
Janet Thorne - 'Avondown Promenade' G scale layout jointly with husband Chris (seen at Bushey MR Exhibition 2004)
I also recall seeing a layout in the last year or two in '0' gauge (Cromford Wharf?) which was a joint husband/wife effort.

And my partner enjoys visiting preserved railways, museums and the like where I can pick up the background for my modelling, even though she isn't interested in actually modelling herself.

Here's to the ladies

·
Registered
11 Posts
You would probably be surprised how many women take a real interest, but don't have a need to publicise it. Many do not enjoy being singled out on the sole basis of their gender and may choose to deliberately stay in the background to actively avoid that 'female' label being foisted on them. They feel that gender has nothing to do with their abilities or leisure interests. They don't want their personal enjoyment to be compromised by being pressured into dealing with sometimes rather too common male prejudice.

These days, age, gender, race and some other classifications are generally considered to be as undesirable as politics and religion in causing divisions rather than a bringing together of people with common interests.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Well said MPCooper.

My daughter loves modeling. She spends time painting figures and building scenery while I tinker with the trains.

I enjoy the company of someone else modeling even if we're not working on the same project.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
And then there was Virginia ....? who modelled Brighton station in EM in the 1970's - a really fine period model made at a time when very little LBSC stuff was available.

No, never knock the ladies. I should know, working for probably the only UK model railway business founded and run by a woman!

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE A locomotive as valid rival for a woman

From the link provided by Rail-Rider.

Of course so many locomotives are named after women.

Who among us can forget the Patriot Class "Lady Godiva"?

Or even the Saint Class "Lady Godiva"?

Or even the Class 47 "Lady Godiva"?

Its about time we had a loco named "Erica Roe" (she was Australian!)

Yes this has strayed somewhat from the topic of lady modellers and moved on to lady locomotives!

But I do suppose it relates to "Women of the Railway" which was a feature of the American website.

Strange thing though is that American locomotive engineers tend to name locomotives after males, with British locomotive engineers choosing females. What is the British equivalent of "Big Boy"?

Is is "Evening Star"?

Or is it the Coronation Class of locomotives? (named after ladies!)

What about "Big Bertha", the loco that worked on the Lickey Incline?

I think we should put "Big Bertha" up against "Big Boy"!

QUOTE I didn't see this thread before, indeed don't forget about me!

To be honest LisaP4 at the time of starting this thread (5th Oct) I was not quite sure!

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Reflecting on the subject of the girls having an interest in railway modelling we should consider that it is the women in the house who has a big say in what goes on within the home.

And if she feels that railway modelling is a good experiance for the family then she will take an interest and won't mind family members spending money on the hobby, and may even spend herself on birthday and Xmas presents for other members of the family.

So manufacturers and retailers should not forget this. The junior market is a large revenue earner for the industry and to target males only is to exclude much of the population who actually dictates how and when money is spent!

Family values are important and if the girls can see that railway modelling is a positive experiance from this point of view then they will be positive on the spending side of things.

One point to note. Hornby don't seem to have any images which include girls playing with train sets. They used to have but not now. Today the perception given is that it seems to be very much a father and son thing.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 10 of 10 Posts