Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys

What glue should I use for laminating plastics when constructing buildings? I used a locally made (UK) solvent glue called plasticweld but this seems to be causing my walls to warp, gets worse the more detail I add to the building. I am laminating plastic brick paper to plain plasticard. All my mouldings etc are plastic strip that I then glue in place on the wall

Thanks

Wayne

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've never had any problems with liquid solvents warping plastikard - I usually use Mek-pak. I'm not sure that I'd recommend any solvent to attach paper to plastikard, though; I'd have thought that a diluted PVA like Resin W might be a better bet. I prefer to use embossed plastikard for the outer face of buildings, except for slate roofing, when I use overlapping strips of paper laboriously notched every 3mm or so, and Resin W is what I use to attach this to the (thick) plastikard shell.

When laminating plastikard to build up good, hefty thicknesses it's a good idea to sandpaper or scribe the plastikard and take the gloss off the face - I think this gives the solvent a better grip. I also use "G" clamps or weights to hold the finished items together until everything's properly dry.

·
Registered
312 Posts
If you are using plasticweld and you seal it in then it doesn't evaporate and tends to cause the warping as it continues to eat through the plastic softening it. It's effectively resealed in its bottle by the glue around the outer edges.
If you want to use plasticweld or other liquid glues I'd suggest drilling small holes on the inner sheet that will be hidden and just putting drops in each hole so that it glues the plastic together and then the solvent can still evaporate.
If you want to laminate it all over the sheet then you'd probably be better off with a contact glue rather than one that relies on evaporation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys

Thanks for the answeres to my query, i will try out Mek pak. Re 'plastic brick paper' it should read 'embossed card', wasn't thinking

Regards

Wayne

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (ngaugerr @ 26 Sep 2007, 13:35) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Hi Guys

What glue should I use for laminating plastics when constructing buildings? I used a locally made (UK) solvent glue called plasticweld but this seems to be causing my walls to warp, gets worse the more detail I add to the building. I am laminating plastic brick paper to plain plasticard. All my mouldings etc are plastic strip that I then glue in place on the wall

Thanks

Wayne

Hi

When laminating plasticard I find that using an odd number of layers tends to stop it warping.

Cheers

Paul

·
Registered
370 Posts
It seems that warping Plasticard has been a problem as long as Plasticard has existed.
That's why Ken Ball developed his method of using double sided adhesive tape to laminate the layers (as outlined in his excellent book "Modelling Buildings The Easy Way", published by Cheona Publications)

I've been using this method ever since I first read about it, so I get no warping problems now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts