Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following my recent topic about acoustics, where one has to have proper under lay to avoid rumbling as a locomotive rolls over the track I was wondering that when I come to the stage of starting to model my landscape if there are any pitfalls that I have to watch out for, eg not glueing this or not glueing that as it might cause rumbling as a train passes by.

I am looking ahead to some problems that might arise of which I might be in the dark, as I already had to pull up all my laid track on my first railway and have started laying again from scratch.

I came to find out that glue is the greatest danger when fixing rails, now how about when modelling the landscape. I intend to use the wire netting with paper glued on top, so at some point I would certainly have to apply glue quite near to the rails especially for loose scatter.

I am all ears for some professional advice.

Mostlyeating.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
Mostlyeating, re your comments about rumbling locos on trackbed & your desire to eliminate any noise - my trackbed is 3mm cork glued to 12mm MDF; track - both PCB & flexi. is pinned & ballasted with traditional PVA & I don't have much noise, let alone rumbling.

In real life, locos on track are not quiet. This one on my layout, even though not yet ballasted, is glued cork & track pinned every 4inches at least
- camera microphone is at track level which is not where one normally does not watch model trains from.
The ballasted section over a lift up is not much louder.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
of course you can always put tape over the track when ypu are doing scenic work which protects the top and inside face of the rales to stop any scenic material getting on it.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi
I make my hills out of polystyrene ,you can get this from all good DIY shops it come in 25mm and 50mm thick sheets.
I glue them together with wood glue and then leave to set, once they are set i use the woodlands scenic hot cutter to make the shapes of the hills ,then i cover it with plaster with a little wood glue mixed in(This helps it not to crack)
Then i use the woodlands scenic earth tone ,once this has dryed cover with what ever ground scatter you are using using wood glue with a little water and washing up liquid .
I use a cake iceing shaker ,which i got from a hardwear store very cheap !!!.
( Do cover up your track as it gets every where !!!)
Then i use a car vac to remove any lose scatter and reuse it for later on as my car vac has never been used to clean a car as i brought it just to do this kind of job.
Once you have done this and are happy with it spray it with hair spray ,this will hold it down.
I hope you find this helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts