Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a fairly recent edition of Hornby track plans I see a large layout (centre pages) which can have up to 4 continuous running trains going at the one time. I've also seen it in action on the Hornby DVD prebuilt trackplans. Has anyone ever seen this layout in reality...or built it?

If so I would appreciate any comment you have as I'm tempted to have a go at building it....I have plenty of space! Positives and negatives are fine as it is a large layout it will inevitabley cost quite a bit so I'd like to hear of the experiences of others..

I have been purchasing Hornby train sets over the last few years with this in mind. I found that it's probably a cheaper way to build up a stock of locos, carriages, track and power units than buying them seperately at least at the outset...maybe I'm wrong???
However I do understand that I'll have to buy all the oustanding track etc.

Thanks in advance

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
It does look a nice layout.

I have noticed though, that the two outside tracks are completely separated from the inner two tracks
I would put a couple of cross-overs in to link the outer two tracks to the inner two.
As I've started this mad hobby with DCC I would hate to try and wire this layout up in DC!!

It just so happens that I've just about sold off all of my OO stuff, a decision not taken lightly over the last weekend, to build a N-gauge layout.

The track plan you mention is number 8, I'm looking at building layout number 7 but in N-gauge and without the turntable.

The only thing that has been a bit of a let down is that some of the buildings are no longer available so it can't be built as they have done it.

I know it's a bit off topic and doesn't really answer your question but, I would just go for it!

Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I also started out a fews years ago by buying complete train sets. The only disadvantage to this is that some of the engines and rolling stock are old models in some cases. I also ended up with more 3rd radius track than I needed.

I could not get a hornby track plan at the time and ended up building pal 25 [Whitland] from the peco track plan book. I used the Hornby VR planning tool to make the plan fit the area I had and it then produced a part list for the track required.

It still cost around £250 for the remaining track and then an extra £10 approx per point and there are 27 of then so far.

But enjoy the challenge.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Having fun is the name of the game.

I tend to make up the track plans myself but loook to established plans for some ideas. I generally collect and fix old loocs and have a variety of different styles. It's about modelling anything (from the imagination) for me and nit being faithful to an era or style - pure fantasy.

I get a lot of things from e bay or at shows and have a nice little eclectic collection.
Product Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting
The sets usually have

too much third radius as you rightly say

engines that are not as well detailed than if you were to buy them and pay a bit more (but can be worth it).

all in all an expensive hobby but you can get very good old inexpensive stuff on e bay (and other sites)

By the way , is there a link to a website where the track plans can be viewed

welcome to the forum. great place to get info.

keep on postin '

Attachments

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Wheeltapper and welcome

As usual good advice is being given, so here's my ten pennorth.

It's often worth going to shows as bargains can frequently be had from the small (and large) traders.

Regards

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
There is one big disadvantage to using any Hornby plan. Since it must be based on their track parts, it is bound to have fairly small radius curves which look rather unrealistic. If you have a lot os space then I think it would be much better to have large radius sweeping curves made using flexitrack. This would look far more realistic. Also you might not want to cram too much into the available space. "Less is more" applies in this hobby as much as in some other contexts.

Good luck with the project whatever you decide. Cheers, Robert.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I know the layout looks attractive in the catalogue and track plans book, but it is very limiting operationally. Do you just like to see trains going round, if so then layout may be ok. But if you like to shunt or give the layout some purpose ie terminal station - through station etc ,then you would be better off doing a freelance design. Try Peco's booklets on plans for railways or their track plans book, which I think has some better schemes.

At the end of the day, its your layout , so do what you fancy.

Trainsets are a good way of building up track, but watch out for radii of curved sections. Also large retailers , such as Hattons, quite often break up trainsets and sell track at some very cheap prices . You can quite often pick up second and third radii track this way. Also I find the equivalent Peco setrack as being better if you want to run Bachmann and Heljan. Quite often these latter two makes don't like Hornby points. I think Peco is cheaper too. At full retail, Hornby track is massively overpriced.

Russell

1 - 7 of 7 Posts