Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been working on a kit for the new MRC club layout "Putnam" and I thought I would post some pictures.

When I first opened the kit it was pretty daunting. I remember as a kid I got something similar but it was really just a box of veneers and some plans and i had a feeling this was going to be something similar.

On looking throught the parts evrything was beautifully cut. The windows are stick together witht he adheasive already aplied to the sashes.

First step was to build the basic 5 sided box. Unfortunatly I even managed to balls this up and put the floor on the wrong way round. The building has a balcony with stairs comming down the end of the building (nearer the camera). The floor has a small tab to accept the stairway and I put the tab at the wrong end. It was not the best of starts but it should be an easy fix. You can just see the tab sticking out the far end.

To start with I tried gap filling CA but this was completly useless in this application. So plan B was ordinary PVA. I did one end using this and the other end I tried some "canopy glue" I bought from a radio controlled car shop. it worked very well and has dried clear.

Next came the wondows. I have been putting off this step for a couple of weeks but last night I decided to bite the bullet and make a start. The wondows are made of self adheasive laser cut veneer and they work a treat. Evrything is cut so accuratly and needs aplying accuratly to make it look right. The front frame if first stuck to the outside of the building with a very thin lip around the inside. The rear frame and sash and glazing are done as a sub assembly and pushed in from behind the frame.

I have so far done all the lower windows on this side. I wanted to do these first because I think they will be fidelly to do with the balcony in place. I am going to tackle the balcony over the next few days. I am hopeing to have it on the layout at ally pally. (weather its finished or not)

Peter

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Peter,
The building is coming on well, i would presume the kit is rom the U.S. ? and in HO scale, who is the maker though as it would be nice to find some N gauge buildings in laser cut wood if they do a range.

upnick

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Peter,

Got the site now and will take a closer look later thank you for the info.

upnick.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Peter

Looking good so far. A friend of mine has progressed from kits like this to building from plans or from scratch to his own designs. He stains the wood first using a mixture of indian ink and methalated spirit (I think) but has several slightly different colours mixed. When the timber is dry he mixes up all the bits and then selects them at random to get variety and it then looks like every bit is different. He has found that colouring the wood after construction is more difficult if there is any glue that has got onto the outer surface as the stain won't soak in.

Hope this helps

Mike

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
its funny you should mention designs. 9i have really been taken buy how easy this kit has been to build. i do artwork for etching and i am thinking about trying to find someone who can laser cut wood from an autocad file. there must be somewhere in the uk. i would love a decent coaling tower.

Peter

·
Registered
763 Posts
Looking very good. It's not a medium we see in British outline, but the quality and results are impressive - as is the accuracy of fit.

Townstreet do a coaling plant as plaster castings , but it's not cheap , and I believe Freestone Model Accessories are planning a card kit

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
hello ravenser

The coaling plants you are talking about are the GWR over the side type. i want a big tower that empties real coal into the empty tenders of the newer steamers. i saw one being demonstrated at an exhibition about 15 years ago. it was facinating to watch.

Last night i finished all the wondows and put the balcony and all the supports in place. it went together a treat although some of the stansions on the balcony are very brittle. i broke 2 when test fitting the balcony.

On saturday i was thinking i might be able to get it ready for display at ally pally. i am now confident that this will be the case. there really isnt much more to do but i need to find out what needs to be done with the interior.

Peter

P.S. am i the only person who thinks it bears a striking resembelance to the building on the infield at Donnington?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts