Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do people who have St. Gatien or Woodcock think that the green colour is different to previous releases? I'm especially interested to know how it compares to Andrew K McCosh from the Northumbrian set.

·
Registered
461 Posts
QUOTE (cbeagleowner @ 8 Apr 2006, 12:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Do people who have St. Gatien or Woodcock think that the green colour is different to previous releases? I'm especially interested to know how it compares to Andrew K McCosh from the Northumbrian set.

I have Golden Plover and Andrew K McCosh and they are different shades of green only slight changes but they ar different as the protoype Locomotives were as with a model company every thing cannot be painted from the same batch of paint and there should be slight variation on each locomotive.

Peter

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my opinion Hornby have made a big error certainly on the first releases as the green is far too pale, so the fact that it might have been made darker is a good thing. It would bother me to have some one shade and some another, as the variations weren't as big in real life as in Hornby's paintshop.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Could it be another of those Chinese inconsistencies? The other extreme applies to the GNER 225's with the older ones being much darker and closer to the real thing than the newer "mallard" liveried ones. Another of those quality control issues. I haven't seen the latest offerings so couldn't offer a comparison and to be honest I haven't compared Andrew K. McCosh to the White Knight that closely either.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Also guy's two things

1, the front bogie is very very light and I have found that a compression spring out of an old ball point pen cut in harf on the pivot saft and a fiber washer on the top of the bogie helps to stop the bogie jumping off on curves (this is for the A4's and A3's).

2, how can a company like Hornby With its tecchnical knowlage can't design a cartezian truck that works so we have to have a stupid flat tyred wheel its quite a let down.

Peter Harvey

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
From my experience with the construction of A1 "Tornado's" Cartazzi truck I can quite see why no minature version has ever been attempted. Far from simply allowing sideplay in the rear wheelset the Cartazzi truck operates in three planes and ensures a degree of "self-centering" is applied to the rear of the loco's frames. They are devilish hard to set up and keep right, the bronze bushes do not wear evenly and only constant adjustment will ensure they remain effective!

·
Registered
763 Posts
You're working on the real thing then 60134. I didn't realise I just thought you'd picked a favourite number. Must be a fascinating project. I recall seeing a similar project to build a BR standard that was being promoted at the Harrogate exhibition in February.
On a different note has anyone tried fitting the flanged wheels you get with the A3's and A4's?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Yes I have. But then again I have 40" radius curves, with 36" as a minimum. One thing I did notice was the gauge of the wheels were out, but that's an argument I have with most models, and even on my curves the wheels were derailing.

Ozzie21

QUOTE (spongebob @ 14 Apr 2006, 04:39) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You're working on the real thing then 60134. I didn't realise I just thought you'd picked a favourite number. Must be a fascinating project. I recall seeing a similar project to build a BR standard that was being promoted at the Harrogate exhibition in February.
On a different note has anyone tried fitting the flanged wheels you get with the A3's and A4's?

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Having been involved with "Tornado" for ten years now I can attest to the mountain that the "Clan" folk have got to climb. The A1 Trust rightly identified cashflow as the critical issue, established a sound income flow and then started construction. After £2 million have been spent we have a full set of frames, wheels, motion, footplating, cylinders, cab and smokebox - the boiler is under construction at Meningen (due June) and the tender is being assembled by an industrial sponsor. With a following wind and more money we should have her running in during 2008.

I know this is a Model Rail forum, just that my model is 12"/foot scale!!

60134 (now you know why!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts