Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there... hope i do not sound useless as i am new to all off this.. But i have just brought myself a 6 foot by 4 foot piece of mdf and am now just about to do my first layout, only have a little room hence the size of what i have purchased. What i am wondering is what is the best way to lay the track. I have a track mat layout that i recieved with my train set (only a small set but i am getting there lol). Do i just lay it straight onto the mat itself or can you purchase something to lay the track on ontop of the mat? Sorry if i sound thick but i am just trying to learn and build up as i go along.

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Hi Michael, welcome to the forum.

As you have some set track, why don't you lay and oval - play with it a bit. Add a siding and see how it goes. Add to it in stages.

If you wan to use your mat, lay it on the mat. Don't nail it or glue it down yet. See how it works out with your locos.

I say this as you will get a feel for track laying by doing this. You will also quickly change your mind and ideas as you progress.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Welcome Michael. Questions always seem to be welcome on this forum.
I generally agree with doug but if you want to stop things sliding around you could insert a few track pins (available from your local model shop from Peco etc or even by post). You will probably need to use a fine drill into the MDF and push the pins using pliers rather than a hammer. Once you are happy you can move onto cork underlay or whatever you like the look of. Try visiting a local model railway exhibition (lists in Model railway magazines) to get some ideas of what you prefer. Even consider joining a local model railway club - new members are usually welcomed with open arms whatever their skill levels. Good luck - it 's a great hobby!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Michael.
As the other guys have said, if you are using setrack, it's best to have a "play"with it first, try out different configurations, etc, to find the best design. The advantage of setrack is that you can try out various permutations until you find your favourite plan. Of course, if you stick to the plan on the "track mat" you will be limited to that, but most modellers like to come up with their own preferred design and, of course, move on to flexible track later on where even more adventurous designs can be attempted (though you then need to be careful about laying curves to the correct radius, otherwise your trains will very quickly fall off at the corners because the curves are too tight!)
Have fun, I have been following this hobby all my life so far, and I'm still learning! But that's what is so great about railway modelling! And don't be afraid to ask questions, no matter how trivial you think they are, we are all here to help each other and I have been assisted by other forum members when I've come across problems and, as I say, I've been doing it for more years than I care to remember!
Cheers
Keith

·
Registered
101 Posts
As a fellow newbie I hear what you are saying. Six-by-four is plenty to start with - I plunged in with flexitrack and the advantage of this is you can, obviously, make it go anywhere you want. You may find (if your eyesight is up to it) that N-gauge gives you more scope in the space you have.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Michael and welcome to the MRF.

All good sound advice so far which I will only reinforce by repeating the old adage 'learn to walk before you run' (and I'm not referring to trains). Learn by your mistakes, and those of others. We all make them so don't worry about them. This is a great hobby and there are some great guys (and gals) here who are always ready to offer helpful advice, just don't be afraid to sing out if you need it.

Good luck with your layout.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hello all

thank you all for your help, i am going to do as you suggest just have a play about and then decide what i would like. I have actually just picked up another full set of ebay for £20 so was not to bad. it has got plenty of straights etc so will have a work about with them. I have seen many layouts that roughly fit on a 6foot by 4foot board that has 3 track ovals so i think eventually i will go for that.

Just wanted to thank you all for being friendly and very helpful

michael

1 - 7 of 7 Posts