Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody recommend some Layout Design Software preferably that can be used with uk model plans peco track and so on?

Pete

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 1 Jan 2007, 18:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Can anybody recommend some Layout Design Software preferably that can be used with uk model plans peco track and so on?

Pete

You could try winrail - it has virtually every trackage system in it's database.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
if you do download Xtrckcad, a few tips.
look for the key for the program then you'll have no restrictions. Its on the site cut and paste into Xtrck
Set up the perameter files by unticking the track libraries you don't want for that particular drawing
set the room size in inches, and check the grid size in inches
untick sticky you don't need it
set the scale to H/O if your drawing a oo layout
practice a bit it, gets easier
it's a good program

·
Registered
49 Posts
The peco param file has settrack sections but no settrack points (unless it's been updated since I got XtrkCad)

If you go to the bottom of my layout page there's some extra parametre files for custom made structures as well as Hornby track and points which are the same geometry as Peco settrack points, just follow the instructions to install the files into your copy of XtrkCad.
(The part numbers aren't accurate for the structures.)

You can shift your own custom structures into parameter files by going to Tools, Custom Management. Select the item and click move to

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm in the process of planning a layout that
will be on two 6' by 4' boards so thanks for
the info everybody.

We're not building it to any particular
era or place. In fact, one half will be
based on the north of England and
on the other half will be buildings
and trains that are found in Canada.

The Canadian part will be hard to
reproduce though as the freight trains are
about 6 miles long over here!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MMD can you explain to me how to set up for printing 1:1 with xtrckcad please as I want to print a layout design which is 1ft wide and 8ft long and I have the use of a drawing office plotter so I would like to do it in one long pice?

Pete

·
Registered
49 Posts
Peter,
The following relates to a standard printer:
If you go to File, Print and choose a scale of 1 you'll notice a rectangular grid appears on the plan. Each rectangle represents a sheet of paper based on the size of paper selected for your printer (usually A4 here in Aus). Click to highlight the sheets that you want to print (you don't have to do the whole layout, just the track)
I usually tick "ignore page margins", so that you don't have to overlap the edges of the sheets when you lay them on the baseboard, and "print roadbed outline" because I use roadbed (underlay).
If you're in a hurry or just testing, go into setup and choose draft quality in printer properties, it's quicker and uses less ink.

I don't know how this relates to a plotter... do you really have an 8' sheet of paper??

When in the Print dialog, click Help to get help.

(sorry if I stole your thunder MMD)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.