Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Happy cristmas and new year to you all,
I'm a newbie here and could do with help for my latest project .... i have made a board up 4ft x 2ft as an extension to my main layout, or as a stand alone subject.
It is to be a container terminal set in the U.S.A. what i'm looking for is a track plan/ideas for the terminal, also trying to locate container crane ... i have the walthers hi jack already but want something more substancial such as the Brawa/Heljan working crane but all i can find is this crane in HO/OO and my layout is N scale, reachstacker trucks would be a good addition they are available in N but who stocks them ?
Any help would be gratefully recieved.

My layout is as i mentioned american, although i have an interest in the class 37 freight trains, any helps i can give to other members i will anytime as i have been modelling for over 30 years covering mainly military subjects so weathering/techniques of modelling i would gladly share my experience, my downfall in railway modelling is the electrics ...... so a conversion to DCC is the way to go i believe ......

Nick.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Nick and welcome to the forum.

I have a feeling that Walther make some of the items you are seeking but don't quote me on that.

Regards

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi kimbo,
Many thanks i will keep an eye on it coming in stock again.

upnick.

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Al,
Got this item on watch now thank you.

upnick.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
You could also try Kibri - they do a range of industrial buildings.

Regards

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Recieved the Vollmer crane today from gaugemaster as i didnt win the one on ebay ... and on initial impressions it seems a bit small but a good basis to start with, i have been thinking about the rails within the terminal and they are going to be mainly flush with ground level ... i have thought about using cork sheet to surround the rails, has anyone any experience in this please?

upnick

·
Registered
574 Posts
In the past I've used balsa wood or plasticard to build up concrete aprons, but I've never been that happy with the result. I've also heard of people using plaster of paris. I can see this giving a better result, but I can also see problems around pointwork with this method. However with careful attention to shuttering around the points and the flangeways it should work...

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
QUOTE (upnick @ 5 Jan 2008, 11:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Recieved the Vollmer crane today from gaugemaster as i didnt win the one on ebay ... and on initial impressions it seems a bit small but a good basis to start with, i have been thinking about the rails within the terminal and they are going to be mainly flush with ground level ... i have thought about using cork sheet to surround the rails, has anyone any experience in this please?

upnick

***Visit the local picture framers - they have a card they use for making the "Matt" which is the frame within the frame that the picture is surounded with.

They usually have lots of offcuts that just go in the bin - some are quite large. Explain that you want them to make model buildings etc with and ask politely *(good form to offer a few pence)* for the offcuts and they'll usually dump and they'll almost certainly give you some.

This is a really nice modelling material - usually has a good surface texture and is thick enough for waht U want - and excellent for making lots of stuff round the layout too!

Richard Johnson

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Another good source of card is the hanging adverts used in some stores, Debenhams for example. When the promotion is over they are binned - ask nicely and you may receive.

Regards

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 7 Jan 2008, 13:37) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another good source of card is the hanging adverts used in some stores, Debenhams for example. When the promotion is over they are binned - ask nicely and you may receive.

Regards

So why not promote the company that supplied most of yours then ?

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all your ideas it's given me some thoughts of various routes to go to ........ oh by the way i work for sainsbury's and hadnt thought of the huge hanging boards we use for promotions .......... just goes to show sometimes the answer is under your nose ..... lol.

upnick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts