Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello fellow gricers - just getting back into this after many years, i have 10ft x 4ft 6ins that i can devote to a board, long side up a wall, and favour a late 1960's mainly freight layout with good shunting - any ideas where to look for a starting plan please

the lard

·
Premium Member
2,841 Posts
Years ago there was a booklet with title something like "60 plans for small model railways", by Peco. I think that it is still available. There are plenty of other books with plans.

Your size is a little odd in being longer but narrower than most published plans which are for 6ft by 4ft, 7ft by 5ft, 8ft by 6ft or 10ft by 6ft, however, this shouldn't matter too much. It is far better to expland a plan for something like 6ft by 4ft than to try to compress a plan for a larger site than yours.

You have just about enough width to run a complete oval is that is what you want. On the other hand you don't have enough width for a central operating well. This means that you will have to operate from the outside. Seeing the whole oval in front of you can make it seem toy-like. You might want to put part behind some scenery.

Good luck with the project.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Hello and welcome to the MRF lard

With the layout plans there was a good Model Railroader magazine special (with DVD) they seem to repeat it every now and then , full of interesting layouts on 8' x 4' .

Having tracks Not running parallel to the base board sides makes more interesting viewing

Kidney shaped rather than oval is one plan that looked good

Hope this helps

Regards

Zmil

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Hi Lard and welcome, You have already been given good advice and I'm sure more will follow.

QUOTE (lard @ 4 Jan 2009, 20:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>hello fellow gricers

And that's a word I haven't heard for a while....

Regards

1 - 5 of 5 Posts