Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been given permission by Mrs WB to use the spare room for a layout, on the proviso that the room can be used when guests stay (ie the railway gets put away!)

The space available is an L shape 2.8m by 2.6m base boards being 1m deep max (this is the absolute maximum to allow the door to be closed when the railway is up) I wish to model a goods yard serving an industrial area with a motive power depot. I have both steam and desiel motive power. The connection to the main line is "off scene" over a level crossing. I have a selection of resin buildings (scaledale) including a gas works that I want to use that will give me an excuse to run coal trains into the area. And the area modelled is surrounded by victorian houses up on a high embankment (half relief with the backgardens.

Now the problem is this, Ive made a plan on graph paper and ive now laid the track on the floor in the front room to get a rough idea and now I doubt Ill have enough room beween the points to un-couple and run around to shunt the required wagons onto the right roads!

Does anyone have any ideas? Or know of a track design package that is preloaded with hornby and peco set track peices?

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
That size in 00 gauge would seem to be large enough for quite reasonable sidings. I suppose that it depends on the details of your design.

By the way, if you want it to look at all realistic then don't use set-track, particularly the points. Peco streamline, especially if you can find room for the medium radius points (or better still the large radius), will look much more effective.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Gosh, such a huge amount of space...how lucky you are...

if runround length is an issue...either reduce the permitted train length, ie number of wagons per train...or use a smaller loco.........

if the above is unhelpful. I suggest diguising the end [tail] of the actual runround, pehaps inside a building of some sort...or.....under a bridge....and use a sector plate instead of a turnout.

This effectively saves the length of a turnout..[a sector plate is simply a straight [ish] piece of plain track, laid onto something like, a thin bit of ply...pivotted at the tail end ...ie not next to the runround loop.......in such a waythat the swinging length of track lines up with both sides of the runround loop. ....a useful disguise is the have the two converging tracks of the runround loop disappearing under, say, a bridge....ashas been done before, one could even arrange a storage road behind the scenes as a kickback...some sector plates are long enough to hold entire trains.

remember, model railways are in many ways, simply a piece of theatre.

Another option, especially if you are modelling old steam, is to end the runround loop in a small turntable......this being directly in the public gaze.

Going back to the sector plate theme, I have seen many plans which involve a longer sector plate, as a 'hidden siding' scheme........also combing as the outer end of a runround loop, hidden from view.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Hi Steve.

Looking at the space you have available I think you can actually do quite a bit more with it.

I have the C. J. Freezer Book of Small Layout Plans and SP33 looks as though it would be ideal for your space and have plenty of operational interest.

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts

Thanks expat, that suggestion is ideal, I can substiute the factories with a gas works as I have these to hand!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts