Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any suggestion for any good free to download layout software. I've penned a few scale drawings, already, however, they become a mess when making alterations. I'm planning an N gauge layout using peco based track and points, so software that includes drag and drop point etc, would be perfect, but I'm willing to try anything out. Once I have the basic design I plan to do a full scale plan in due course, THanks in advance.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Xtrackcad is a free download from: Xtrackcad. It's important with this software to setup only the parameter files you intend to use. You will then have in your case a track libary for Peco code 80 turnouts. Spend a little time learning the package because it's very good. The other important thing is to setup under options your layout size assuming your a pommie inches, and removing some of the labels under options display, remove the snap to grid feature (untick) and setup your grid and easements. It works far better with no easements. There are many other features, including layers of different colours. I did quite a bit of beta testing on this package 4 or 5 years ago.
Have fun

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll second what Makemineadouble has said.
I've used the trial version and it's great, does the job fine.

I've also used Winrail, but the trial version has very limited track components.
There are NO Peco turnouts in the trial version of Winrail.

Regards

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (Makemineadouble @ 11 Sep 2006, 14:14) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Xtrackcad is a free download from: Xtrackcad. It's important with this software to setup only the parameter files you intend to use. You will then have in your case a track libary for Peco code 80 turnouts. Spend a little time learning the package because it's very good. The other important thing is to setup under options your layout size assuming your a pommie inches, and removing some of the labels under options display, remove the snap to grid feature (untick) and setup your grid and easements. It works far better with no easements. There are many other features, including layers of different colours. I did quite a bit of beta testing on this package 4 or 5 years ago.
Have fun

Looks interesting, but does it work on Windows XP, the site doesn't mention it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In the process of trying it out, but having problem setting up Layout width and height. It wont let me set it larger than 96 by 48 inches. When I do it says "Room size larger than 96" by 48" only available on level 1" what does that mean?

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Your working with the demo file for some reason, that restricted the number of turnouts and the size of room.
The file you should have is : xtc32311 for the installation have a another look on the site. If you have this then revisit the site or incert this key 248890010702 you should really read what they put on the site ! Please register the product it's free but does give Dave some idea of who much support his software has.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Just downloaded the Xtrkcad program, but cannot find any way to enlarge the small default layout area of 8ft by 4ft.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I have searched the <HELP> section from start to finish and found nothing.
On the website there is a short review which states that it is possible - but no actual info on how to make it so!
Not exactly a helpful review!

·
Registered
429 Posts
QUOTE (Davo @ 22 Dec 2009, 23:29) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just downloaded the Xtrkcad program, but cannot find any way to enlarge the small default layout area of 8ft by 4ft.

Does anyone know how to do this?

I have searched the <HELP> section from start to finish and found nothing.
On the website there is a short review which states that it is possible - but no actual info on how to make it so!
Not exactly a helpful review!

Go to Options drop down menu then click on Layout.
At the top of the new window are the two dimension box's. They will be in inches if using Imperial measurements.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
If you have a half way reasonable CAD program you can do as I did.

I laid examples of the turnouts I planned to use on my A4 flatbed scanner, saved the image as a bitmap and imported that into a pre-prepared scale drawing of the area I was planning to use.

It is then a simple matter to trace over the parts of interest, rails, frogs, etc with suitable drawing tools. Following that the bitmap image can be discarded leaving the traced image behind.
Most CAD programs permit preservation of the length/width ratio so re-sizing to match the drawing scale should be a simple matter.

While it is possible to include every last detail in such a drawing I have found that keeping things simple is the best option.

Each such drawing should be saved as a group under a suitable name, it can then be copied and placed as many times as required.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts