Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from recent threads about what should produced, I thought I'd go the other way and see what comes up as the least likely model to be selected for mass production.

So to start the ball rolling how about LMS 4-6-0 "Fury"

Over to you guys........

Regards

John

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
71000 DoG, would dearly love to have an RTR std8, Can't ever see it being done though.

Or how about the "Turbomotive" ?

The first batch of air smoothed MN

How about a class 66? Sorry, sorry forgot for a moment that just about every man and his dog make a "66" these days.

A belated happy new year to you all and roll on Bachmanns 2009 product anouncment.

Arethusa

·
Registered
352 Posts
How about a ORKILON set of 3 cars, (think thats how its spelt) that used to run on the north london line upto the middle 50s, think theres more chance of getting Fury

·
Registered
58 Posts
A j15 would be fantastic but i dont think hornby will ever bother. Bachmann are the most likly peaple to do it

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sadly, I truly believe that the least likely models to be produced to super detail standards are ANY overhead electrics, i.e. Class 86, 87, or even an EM2. I remember seeing the black preserved prototype at Warley a couple of years back and thinking what a fantastic model it would make with working lights etc.

I've never really understood the lack of appeal of Overhead Electrics to the UK model market, they represent a large and increasing percentage of todays railway scene and are dominant amongst the continental ranges of Roco, Marklin, Trix etc.

Why not here...sniff

·
Registered
303 Posts
How about the LNER Beyer Garratt 2-8-0-0-8-2 no 69999, the Wath Banker?

If you choose to build almost any pre-grouping prototype, many of which continued to run into the 1950s, you are pretty safe at present, but for how long?

Will pre-grouping layouts become more popular?

The pre-grouping GWR enthusiast can now get a RTR Dean Single, a Dean goods and a pannier tank or a prairie and wagons and carriages to match. A typical small branch terminus that may of us model, needs a small passenger loco, an 0-6-0 goods loco and a tank engine. In the future shall we see similar 'sets' of locos for each of the larger companies? Should Hornby be promoting this theme? Private owner wagons are very pretty, they are popular and yet few of us have ever seen a real train of them. I certainly have not and yet there is a large market for them.

As we all get older, there will be less of us around who have seen steam in normal service on BR and the market for BR liveried locos will reduce. There may be proportionally more interest in the authentic pre-grouping scene and buyers may want stock for their own pregrouping layout with stock from mostly the same company.

If we take as a starting point the odd isolated examples of pre-grouping locos on the market today, what should be produced to run with them?

Here are few suggestions.

1. The Hornby J52 0-6-0T and their N2 need to be partnered by an Ivatt Atlantic and a J6 or a K2.
2. The Hornby LBSCR Terrier needs an H1 or H2 Atlantic and a C2X 0-6-0
3. The Caledonian Single needs one of the classes of 0-6-0 which lasted in large numbers into the 50s, and also a tank loco such as 0-4-4T which could possibly be based on the M7 chassis.

Any more suggestions?

Colombo

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Re Thunder's Post #5, they were "Oerliken" stock, built by the LMS between 1914 and 1923 and fitted with Oerliken electrical equipment. Used on the LMS services from Euston-Watford, Broad Street-Richmond (and Kew Bridge until WWII) and Willesden Junction- Earl's Court (West London Line - also suspended from 1939).

Re Gary's Post #7 - I'd love to see a LNER articulated set. One of these is being restored on the North Norfolk Railway, and I have happy memories of travelling in them in the late 1950s on the North Woolwich line to train-spot at Stratford or Liverpool Street stations.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Re Thunder's Post #5, they were "Oerliken" stock, built by the LMS between 1914 and 1923 and fitted with Oerliken electrical equipment. Used on the LMS services from Euston-Watford, Broad Street-Richmond (and Kew Bridge until WWII) and Willesden Junction- Earl's Court (West London Line - also suspended from 1939).

Re Gary's Post #7 - I'd love to see a LNER articulated set. One of these is being restored on the North Norfolk Railway, and I have happy memories of travelling in them in the late 1950s on the North Woolwich line to train-spot at Stratford or Liverpool Street stations.
Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
461 Posts
Well I think the most unlikely model would be one that everyone would like the blue Pullman in OO, there is no reason why it shouldn't be made but other than everyone wants it so the model company's see it only selling to enthusiasts (collectors) not as little Jim's birthday present.

Pete

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Peter_Harvey @ 6 Jan 2007, 15:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Well I think the most unlikely model would be one that everyone would like the blue Pullman in OO, there is no reason why it shouldn't be made but other than everyone wants it so the model company's see it only selling to enthusiasts (collectors) not as little Jim's birthday present.

Pete

Probably right on the button - little Jim can relate to HST's, Eurostars & such but probably won't know what the hell a Blue Pullman is.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>but probably won't know what the hell a Blue Pullman is.
Then buy him a copy of "On the Rails" - volume 1 of the BTF film collection being published by the British Film Institute.

But seriously, I think that if young kids are attracted to the hobby by being able to run trains they see every day, they will probably broaden their interest as they find out what went before. The period I model is from before the time I was born but I find the locomotives more interesting to look at. As a lad, I wanted the latest blue diesels.

David

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
I grew up in the "Blue" era and at no stage did I ever want a blue diesel, I found and still do the railway before "blue" was a much more interesting thing to look at.
With the inclusion of the present day 47 hauled Blue Pullman set in the Hornby range the chances of them resurrecting the old DMU Blue Pullman must have taken a massive step forward, as long as all of you who want the DMU go out and buy the trainset.
Arethusa

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (5696Arethusa @ 7 Jan 2007, 23:21) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I grew up in the "Blue" era and at no stage did I ever want a blue diesel, I found and still do the railway before "blue" was a much more interesting thing to look at.
Arethusa
I'd agree with that too. I grew up in a world of blue diesels and they are the last trains I want to buy. I like old steam trains I like some of the new DMUs, I like French, German and American stuff, but blue diesels?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts