Oops! Another too long a break between updates.
To be frank, although there has been some progress, it has been of the brain numbing variety, which is why I've found it difficult to discuss it much.
Once I had all the track laid and running moderately successfully, I gave the layout a bit of a shake down and was quite pleased with it. This did show that I needed to get the points motorised in order to be able to get the electrofrogs energised, so that my small steam locos can operate with some reliability.
Splitting the boards with a view to working on them upside down, I realised that I needed to protect the ends of the track. My usual way of doing this is with 'C&L' track end protectors but it had been a long time since I used one. So, being less than careful, I managed to break the first two of my 12 that I had in stock, until I got the hang of bending them again.
Ready for soldering.
Then, I made a horrible discovery: I actually needed not 12 but 24 of these little blighters! Not only that but they were out of stock at C&L and everywhere else I could think of that might sell them, including eBay. I placed a "wanted" ad on one of my favourite forums and thankfully, a kind soul helped me out.
Having received another six packets of these things, I set to work, cutting them out of their frets, cleaning them up, adjusting them so I can bend them to my specification, bending them, soldering and finally cleaning them up, it was then that I realised I now had too many!!!
Yes, I need 24 in total not an additional 24, stupid man! D'oh! Oh well, they will come in handy for any future plans.
Now it came time to fit them to my boards/track and I realised that I could use a 16mm Forstner bit to help set them into my timber. I do have the same size flat wood bit but the Forstner bit makes a much better job and I find, easier to control.
However, this meant an additional delay while this new tool arrived so I started something else;
The station building!
Here is my Kibri 39492 "Bahnhof Reichelsheim" station building with it's main component parts laid out;
A little bit of 'Googling' revealed that a similar building was built of yellow brick so I thought that would make a pleasant change from the supplied red brick so I set about a repaint. This also means that I must also repaint the loco shed, of course.
I also needed to paint the window frames as white window frames is a much more 'modern' thing. I chose dark brown 'Oak Beams' as a suitable colour as that appears to be similar to the pictured building and I have no way of knowing for sure what the original might be.