Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have 5 Lima Class 33 locos that I would like to add running lights to. Before I start I need to know what led to look for. Would it be 3v with resistors. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Kevin.

·
Premium Member
2,835 Posts
I can't speak for specific resistor values, although would probably start at ~1k Ohms when working off a 12V DC system.

I am aware that Express Models make lighting kits for Lima Class 33s, which are available in both Analogue (DC) and Digital (DCC) formats (note that there are variants for different prototypes).

Are you running DC or DCC?

Best Regards,

Cameron.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't speak for specific resistor values, although would probably start at ~1k Ohms when working off a 12V DC system.

I am aware that Express Models make lighting kits for Lima Class 33s, which are available in both Analogue (DC) and Digital (DCC) formats (note that there are variants for different prototypes).

Are you running DC or DCC?

Best Regards,

Cameron.
Hi Cameron, thank you for your reply. I hadn't thought to search for lighting kits so thanks for that. I'm switching to DCC in the near future so I am swithching between DCC and DC. I'm mainly using my DC setup to make sure my locos are running properly before putting DCC chips in them.
Thanks again Cameron you've been very helpful.
All the best
Kevin

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,998 Posts
As Cameron says, 1K resistor's would be a good starting point. Wiring them for DCC will be different to DC. With the Lima loco's you'll need to not only make sure they run OK (which you're doing anyway) but you'll find that a Zimo MX600 decoder would be about the best for getting smooth operation out of those old motors. Unfortunately they seem to be in short supply at the moment. Do you know which DCC set up you'll be getting?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As Cameron says, 1K resistor's would be a good starting point. Wiring them for DCC will be different to DC. With the Lima loco's you'll need to not only make sure they run OK (which you're doing anyway) but you'll find that a Zimo MX600 decoder would be about the best for getting smooth operation out of those old motors. Unfortunately they seem to be in short supply at the moment. Do you know which DCC set up you'll be getting?
Hi Peter, thanks for your reply. I have an NCE Powercab as a DCC controller and have a DCC Concepts blue nano 8 pin with a small stay alive which I will use for my first Class 33. However after doing a bit of research the Lima bodyshell that I am using is a early Class 33 which didn't ( as far as I am aware ) have a headlight but was fitted with lamp irons. The headcode was illuminated but that was about it. I think what I'll do is fit my first one with just a chip and harness and save lighting for a later version bodyshell which had a single front and rear light.
Thanks again for your help.
All the best
Kevin

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Get the Express Models DCC lighting kit and a Zimo MX600 decoder. This decoder will have the four outputs required to operate the four sets of lights, and it will work on DC too if you need it to. The Express Models kits are very good.

·
In depth idiot
8,272 Posts
There is the radical alternative route: chop in the Lima 33's for current product that suits your interest.

The reason for this suggestion are the problems intrinsic to Lima mechanisms for DCC operation.
Traction tyres which generate railhead dirt and are right where you want pick up - always most effective on the driven wheels.
Wheels in a dirt generating and collecting alloy.
The mechanical limitations of the motor and drive train.

You simply don't get all the running refinement that DCC can deliver; a comparison with the heavyweight chassis centre motor all wheel drive and pick up mechanisms found in current productions is advised if you haven't already taken a look.
It's Heljan if 33's are what you want, but every diesel class that got a TOPS classification is now available RTR with this type of mechanism from at least one of the current manufacturers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Get the Express Models DCC lighting kit and a Zimo MX600 decoder. This decoder will have the four outputs required to operate the four sets of lights, and it will work on DC too if you need it to. The Express Models kits are very good.
Hi Suzi, so far as I can see early 33's only had lights for the headcode panels so I don't really need to add them. I'm not fussed about cab lights so I'll satisfy myself with a CD motor and DCC upgrade.
Thanks for your reply, I'll try ExpressModels when I start on my Class 47.
Thanks again
Kevin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts