Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up until now I have have used Lenz gold decoders, I have run out and I have to buy more decoders. Is there are decoder that is better than the Lenz gold for less money? NB. I don't need sound.

Cheers,
Mr Bemo

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (MrBemo @ 16 Sep 2008, 11:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Up until now I have have used Lenz gold decoders, I have run out and I have to buy more decoders. Is there are decoder that is better than the Lenz gold for less money? NB. I don't need sound.

Cheers,
Mr Bemo

Take a look at the Zimo range. All the features of the Lenz and more, similar price and (at least by reputation) some of the best motor control available. I've not used the Lenz but I can confirm the Zimo MX620 is superb in N gauge and also offers two more functions than the Lenz Gold Mini. They also come in larger sizes for other gauges. Main downside is the limited number of stockists.

No doubt others will be along shortly with their own suggestions...

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (Edwin @ 16 Sep 2008, 13:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Take a look at the Zimo range. All the features of the Lenz and more, similar price and (at least by reputation) some of the best motor control available. I've not used the Lenz but I can confirm the Zimo MX620 is superb in N gauge and also offers two more functions than the Lenz Gold Mini. They also come in larger sizes for other gauges. Main downside is the limited number of stockists.

No doubt others will be along shortly with their own suggestions...

Yes indeed, Zimo all the way for me too. I have used Lenz Gold/Silver, ESU Lok Pilot, Digitrax DH163, Uhlenbrock, and various TCS decoders, and Zimo stand head and shoulders above them. The motor control is much more adjustable than the Gold, and they come with the best instructions I have seen so far. The slow stops they can achieve are awesome.

·
Registered
75 Posts
[The new Hornby R8249 has a lot going for it...4 function and bells and whistles at £8.00 or thereabouts on Ebay at least...Hattons have them at £8...
Phil

·
Ian Wigglesworth
750 Posts
QUOTE (philg @ 16 Sep 2008, 16:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[The new Hornby R8249 has a lot going for it...4 function and bells and whistles at £8.00 or thereabouts on Ebay at least...Hattons have them at £8...
Phil

Your having a laugh...aren't you?

You can't alter any of the speed settings on the Hornby decoder, so sorry but there is no bells and whistles on the Hornby decoder at all!
The difference between Lenz Gold and the Hornby one is just too much of a huge leap.

MrBemo,

For value for money I would go for TCS, excellent slow speed control and have the goof proof warranty as well.
Do you need to be able to update firmware or more advanced functions then Zimo.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
QUOTE (wiggy25 @ 16 Sep 2008, 16:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>For value for money I would go for TCS, excellent slow speed control and have the goof proof warranty as well.
Do you need to be able to update firmware or more advanced functions then Zimo.

My first choice tends to be Lenz but do you really need the Gold, if you are not using the functions exclusive to it then the Silver or Standard are as good depending in which functions you need. Second choice is TCS - usually because a normal sized Lenz will not fit without a lot of chopping - the MC2 or M1 being useful in tight spaces and then theres the direct plug in DP2X-UK as well, ideal for the Hornby M7 and Q1

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (philg @ 16 Sep 2008, 16:25) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>[The new Hornby R8249 has a lot going for it...4 function and bells and whistles at £8.00 or thereabouts on Ebay at least...Hattons have them at £8...
Phil

sorry - it's not in the same league - you cannot even set the maximum speed, let alone the lack of ABC & other "bells & whistles"....................

A decent cost effective decoder is the Bachsu at around £11.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (MrBemo @ 16 Sep 2008, 12:41) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Up until now I have have used Lenz gold decoders, I have run out and I have to buy more decoders. Is there are decoder that is better than the Lenz gold for less money? NB. I don't need sound.

Cheers,
Mr Bemo

I would look at ESU (or the rebadged one from Bachmann) or TCS.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Also considering switching away from Lenz -

Sorry if this is a (oh alright two) stupid question(s), but i was thinking i would like to support railcom, which i understand the lenz gold does.

1/ Do the Zimo/TCS?
2/ Is it worthwhile planning ahead for in anyone's opinion?

Thanks in advance

TimP

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
Zimo support RailCom. If you're looking for a high spec decoder, you should certainly check out Zimo decoders. They are a similar price to Lenz golds. The Zimo website has English manuals - Link

I use Zimo decoders in some of my locomotives (OO scale)

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts