Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three Lenz LS150's and use Peco PL10 point motors.The transformer is Lenz as recommended by trhem for LS150's.

Can anyone tell me if two point motors can be operated at the same time from one output from the LS150

Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Short answer is no - they take too much power and what happens is one may switch but not the other. I tried it with several of mine and the reliability was poor so I kept getting derailments when a point didn't change as expected. I concluded that two points would switch if both were very free-running, but any hint of stickinesss led to problems, especially as all of mine have the PL13 polarity switch fitted as well.

One solution is to use a DCC Concepts Masterswitch: this will happily switch at least two PL10 points but only needs one LS150 port. However, each Masterswitch costs slightly more than one LS150 port, so you are not saving money but you do gain a bit of operational simplicity. The Masterswitch Plus is also an option for crossovers as it also has 4 SPDT built in switches for frog polarity. It almost pays for itself as you save an LS150 port as well as 2 PL13 switches.

If you want to be able to change two points at once, then another solution is to connect each point to a port on separate LS150s, and assign each port the same number. However, this does require each LS150 to have its own power supply otherwise the same problem applies. I've got 11 LS150s on my layout and all are connected to one Lenz TR100 transformer: all works fine so long as I only change one point at a time. I'm using a computer with Traincontroller 5.8 to manage the signalling, with most points part of route setting, so I've now got no need to change two points at once.

·
Registered
762 Posts
One way to reduce the stickiness is to reduce the tension on the over centre spring. This takes 10 seconds. Ease off the clips holding the centre spring plastic block, ease the block backwards, and then tighten the lugs with a pair of pointy nose pliers. If this is backed off the points should go across easily enough, but the problem could then be that there is not sufficient electrical contact from the stock rail to the point blade. This depends on how you have your points wired, if they have been ballasted or corroded etc. It might be worth a try though before you rewire it all as it can easily be reversed in 10 secs as well.
Good luck
Andrew

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
It's the PL10 point motors that can become sticky, rather than the point blades. This can be resolved by lubricating the point motor. Having a PL13 accessory switch adds to the load and hence the power draw. All my points are Peco code 75 and I use the PL13 to switch the poloarity of the frog rather than using the point blades which I found unreliable. I also bond the blades to the stock rail as well so that there is no chance of dead sections on the points.

In the end I simply decided that reliability was paramount: I don't have problems with the LS150 switching single PL10 motors. If you have two motors connected to one LS150 port it's very difficult to hear that only one has fired. The LS150 delivers 3 amps AC which seems more than enough and all my points have the PL13 switch. I've had a couple of cases where the motor has stuck, but on each occasion I also found it also hard to move manually. So the motor was removed, lubricated and re-installed. (I use Kadee couplings and I've found their "Grease-em" lubricant to work well for the PL10s. It can be used with the point motor in situ).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi!

Could it perhaps be an option to use a different accessory decoder for your double sets of points? I have two pairs of points forming crossovers that are operated by two Peco PL-10W point motors connected in parallel controlled by a Digitrax DS52 stationary decoder. That is a good combination. I do, however, use the Lenz LS150 decoder on all single points.

Best Wishes,
Tom

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Tom - do you use one DS52 per pair of points, or have you got one pair of PL10Ws on each DS52 address? The DS52 looks good but at around £18 it's more expensive than 2 LS150 ports, unless you are able to connect a single DS52 to manage two crossovers (ie 4 points).

Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (RFS @ 27 Feb 2009, 12:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Tom - do you use one DS52 per pair of points, or have you got one pair of PL10Ws on each DS52 address? The DS52 looks good but at around £18 it's more expensive than 2 LS150 ports, unless you are able to connect a single DS52 to manage two crossovers (ie 4 points).

Thanks

Hi RFS!

I've got one pair of PL10Ws on each DS52 address, meaning two crossovers (ie 4 points) on each unit. I do not have accessory switches on them, but they give a loud bang when thrown, indicating that they could probably take these as well. I have used them like this for three years now and find them rather good value for money. It certainly is worth considering.

Best wishes,
Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts