Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Chief cook & bottle washer
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it's one thing after another round here at the moment! The latest casualty is my Lenz LZV100 showing error code 97, which comes up as internal battery needs replacing. Also on the LH101 display is Error comm . stat ( communication status?) Has anyone replaced a battery in one of these and if so, what type of battery and how easy/difficult is it?

Any help appreciated.

·
In depth idiot
7,941 Posts
A little google-fu turned up this:

No report of a successful DIY fix however, though it doesn't sound impossible if the correct replacement battery can be found...

I have been aware of this 'error code 97' lurking in my future for some time. Living in the UK my plan is return to the Lenz support (A&H) for upgrade when the problem arises. Is there an Antipodean operation offering Lenz support?

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,
I found the same thread as you, but couldn't find anyone that's done the battery replacement. We've got a place in Dubbo down in NSW but I prefer not to trust it to the postal services if possible. I'll open it up later today and see if I can do the job myself... if I can id the battery and then find one.
Ps: I've had this since 2005 so not a bad run.

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got it in bits but can't find a Varta CR2450PCB3 battery anywhere. It's only an ordinary flat battery, but with 3 legs to go into a pcb. The legs are spot welded on to the battery. I might have to start thinking outside the square here.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I've got it in bits but can't find a Varta CR2450PCB3 battery anywhere. It's only an ordinary flat battery, but with 3 legs to go into a pcb. The legs are spot welded on to the battery. I might have to start thinking outside the square here.
Legged versions of those batteries are readily found from electronics suppliers - the CR2450 is in widespread use. I found a 3-legged PCB version at RS in the UK for £1.66 (and I've not looked very carefully).

Alternatively, there are battery mounts for the non-legged versions which can be soldered to the PCB, and a non-legged battery clipped in/out as required.

There are only two contacts on a battery (plus and minus), so though there are three legs, the third must be common to one of the others.

Can't see this being a huge problem for someone willing to remove a component from a PCB.

- Nigel

·
In depth idiot
7,941 Posts
I've got it in bits...
...and it sounds like you should be able to mail order the right component. If you succeed please post a brief write up.

Standard caution with electronics, keep yourself and the board earthed while working on it, don't want static discharge damaging IC's.

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I looked at RS Australia and they have none, but I took a second look at Jaycar electronics store and they seem to have one about a 40 or 50 minute drive away. I'll phone first though having been caught out before when I've trusted a website.
Not a problem removing and replacing the battery as long as I pick a day when my hands aren't shaking. Who thinks getting old is fun?
I'll do the write up... if I don't forget. ;)

A quick edit: Would the difference between CR2450PCB3 and CR2450NRH 3V PCB Mounting Lithium Coin Battery, simply be the manufacturers code?

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Nigel,
I've tried to find out if it's only the manufacturers code, but while the H probably means horizontal, I can't think what the N R means. I just want to make sure that I'm using the right battery. I've looked at spec sheets for the Renata battery, which is the one that Jaycar sell, but no luck there either.

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wrote to Lenz in Germany yesterday and found a reply this morning pointing me to a firm that sells them (Varta) in Australia and seem to have stock. They don't open until Monday so we'll see then.

·
In depth idiot
7,941 Posts
... (Varta) in Australia...
There's a good response from Lenz..

And another thing, if Varta have an Australian operation or representative you may be able to get their car batteries. These are the pick of the readily available car batteries in Europe for longevity of sustained performance. Costs a little more, but doesn't suddenly decide to lose charge at four or five years old, the first day of winter when the temperature is just below freezing.

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Suzie. Would the 2032 battery be as long lasting as the 2450 though. As I said, it's been going since 2005 which I think is incredible. On the other hand, I suppose slipping one battery out and another one in is nice and simple.

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi 34C,
I know that all the Varta products have a good name. Their automotive bulbs seem to last for ever. I'll remember that for when I need a new car battery... but I'm not going to tempt fate.

·
C55
2,549 Posts
I ask for forgiveness before you read this Battery of a prayer... 😇

Our Varta, we art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy capacity come;
thy charge be done;
on earth as it is in the heavens.
Give us this day our daily Volts.
And forgive us all our shorts,
as we forgive those who short against us.
And lead us not into sparks;
but deliver us great Amps.
For thine is the source,
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

J

·
Registered
986 Posts
Thanks Suzie. Would the 2032 battery be as long lasting as the 2450 though. As I said, it's been going since 2005 which I think is incredible. On the other hand, I suppose slipping one battery out and another one in is nice and simple.
Generally batteries used in this type of situation will last ten years if they are spotlessly clean, so fifteen years is a very good life, but not untypical. The CR2032 is a much smaller capacity battery but should still last a decade, but be much easier to replace next time. The factory fitted battery is much larger than required for the task - end of life of the factory fitted battery will not be due to discharge in normal use but due to some form of leakage away of the charge due to age. I suspect that it has been sized to make allowance for any problems that might cause faster than normal discharge.

I am sure that if Lenz had realised how well built and long lived the command stations were they would have opted for an easily replaceable battery - a ten year life of a consumer electronics product is a very long life nowadays. It is unrealistic to expect any lithium primary cell to last reliably more than ten years.

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I ask for forgiveness before you read this Battery of a prayer... 😇

Our Varta, we art in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
thy capacity come;
thy charge be done;
on earth as it is in the heavens.
Give us this day our daily Volts.
And forgive us all our shorts,
as we forgive those who short against us.
And lead us not into sparks;
but deliver us great Amps.
For thine is the source,
the power and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

J
Ha ha. Good one. :D

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Suzie. I'll give the company that Lenz put me on to a ring tomorrow and see if they can supply the battery and holder together.

·
2,958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I eventually ended up soldering a holder in with a CR2032 battery. Checking with the multimeter, the juice was getting through, but the Error code 97 still came up. I contacted Peter at Lenz Australia in Dubbo NSW and now my LZV100 is on it's way to him. He'll be sending me the LZV200 in it's place. I've got the LH101 so now I'll be all up to date and able to perform updates (if they ever come up) myself. A$399.00 was a bit of a hit, but I'm pretty sure it'll now outlast me.
Thanks for the help to those who encouraged me to use the coin cell holder, just a shame it was something else. Only $11.00 laid out so mustn't grumble... sounds like there's a song in there somewhere.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts