Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there guys and gals I wonder if anyone can help me please.

I bought a lenz mini silver chip from e-bay and it was all brand new but when I wired up the chip to my new Farish freightliner 66 the lights flashed on and off like a christmas tree and the loco did not run back or forth.

I know that Lenz comes with an idiot proof warranty on it's chips but I have e-mailed Mackays models and also tried ringing them with no gain.

Does anyone have any suggestions please.

I decided not to go back to the seller on e-bay but go through lenz instead but I am not sure of how to return the chip.

Any ideas?

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Try doing a factory reset on the decoder.

Double check that there are no capacitors anywhere on the locomotive. Certainly the Gold & possibly the Silver do a "self-test" on power up - they can "see" the caps (& sometimes minor motor faults) as a "short" on the motor.

BTW - Mackay's are probably on a New Years break.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote name='dbclass50' date='3 Jan 2008, 09:00' post='43823']
Try doing a factory reset on the decoder.

Double check that there are no capacitors anywhere on the locomotive. Certainly the Gold & possibly the Silver do a "self-test" on power up - they can "see" the caps (& sometimes minor motor faults) as a "short" on the motor.

Thanks for that I wil try checking the loco but as far as I was aware it is dcc ready and it just needs wiring up as directed.

As for the factory reset how do you do it?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I've managed to find a post I made on 20th December 2007 with a set of reset codes:-

QUOTE I have decoders from ESU, Zimo and Lenz. Here are the codes for resetting the decoders back to the factory defaults - in other words short address at number 3. I have taken these values from the manuals.

ESU LokPilot 3 - Write 8 to CV8
Lenz Gold - Write 33 to CV8
Zimo Mx620, MX62, MX63, MX64 - Write 8 to CV8

Would it be worth adding these as a DCC Resource (along with a big warning about what factory reset really means?)

David

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 2 Jan 2008, 19:13) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I bought a lenz mini silver chip from e-bay and it was all brand new but when I wired up the chip to my new Farish freightliner 66 the lights flashed on and off like a christmas tree and the loco did not run back or forth.

Before you fit another decoder can I suggest you check out the following?

(1) Are the motor contact strips shorting to the chassis on either side of the slot they go through? This is a recognised problem with Farish 66s and 57s, and it is wise to insulate the strips with a bit of heat shrink as even if there is not a problem now it could appear as the strips rub against the paint on the chassis. Also think about putting some insulation under the PCB so the contacts beneath it do not short to the chassis - this may not happen until the body is put back on.

(2) I have had two motors in the original 2005 Farish 66 releases go short circuit, frying decoders in both cases. It would be worth putting an ohm-meter between the motor contacts (large blobs of solder on the PCB above the copper strips) and checking resistance with the motor in various positions (remove one of the bogies and push the worm round with a screwdriver). All readings should be 30ohm or more, I got 5ohm and 0.5ohm on my two! If you find this problem I would be interested in knowing the exact release of your loco and the batch number printed on the top of the motor.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok I have fitted a spare hornby chip to the same loco and it is running as normal on DCC.

Now the question is do I change my controller from the e-z to the dynamis or even the elite.

The problem is that if I go with the dynamis then will the hornby chips work or if I go for the elite the hornby chips will work but will the gaugemaster dcc21 chip or will the lenz mini silver if it works normally???

I have read some previous posts on this matter of which controllers to wear.

I'm not bothered about the wireless thing about the dynamis but is the elite worth the extra over the dynamis in monetry terms?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Now that the Elite has NMRA certification, there's no reason not to consider it. Being a Hornby product, you are on strong ground with Hornby if their decoder chips don't work with it. Everyone else will just say "tough" as the Hornby decoder is not certified.

So basically it's a feature / budget "bun fight". Decide how much you are willing to spend, list the features you really want and then go with that. The Dynamis vs Elite decision seems to turn on the following:-

Dynamis Plus points
1) The Dynamis is wireless out of the box
2) The Dynamis has one touch function activation
3) The Dynamis has a toggle control for speed

Dynamis Minus points
1) The Dynamis does not have a dedicated programming track output so it can't read CVs (Added by the Pro box due RSN)
2) The Dynamis is a single controller
3) The Dynamis has a toggle control for speed
4) No PC connection for train control software (Added by Pro box due RSN)

Elite Plus points
1) Twin control knobs
2) Has a dedicated programming track output so it CAN read CVs
3) Has knobs for controlling speed
4) PC connection for train control software
5) Select units can be attached as slave controllers (but restricted to short addressing, and dedicated accessory (point control) number area)

Elite Minus points
1) Not wireless out of the box (A wireless controller scheduled for late 2008)
2) Cumbersome function activation procedure
3) Has knobs for controlling speed

I don't know what the respective power capabilities are - ie how many engines you can run at the same time. More amps = more engines.

I am sure that there are other differences; if I have made a mistake, I am sure I will be picked up on it

David
I should declare that I am a happy ECoS owner.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that DWB.

I've had a look at the prices of the 2 and I can't get round that the elite is so much more expensive than the dynamis. especially as I and a friend who doesn't have a layout saw the elite and thought that it looked like a toy compared to the Dynamis.

I have made some enquiries about prices and everyone seems to be selling the Dynamis for the rrp price of £99.95 and nobody seems to be giving discount or have any in stock.

My local shops don't have any in and they are saying that they are waiting for the pro box to come out but how much more will that add to the just under £100.00 price tag. Has anyone seen them any cheaper and also being in stock??

Will it be worth waiting for? What else do you get for the extra money apart from being able to add more controllers and a seperate programming track?

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
QUOTE I've had a look at the prices of the 2 and I can't get round that the elite is so much more expensive than the dynamis. especially as I and a friend who doesn't have a layout saw the elite and thought that it looked like a toy compared to the Dynamis.

You are getting more "substance" in the Elite and that's why it costs more. The style thing is a matter of personal choice. If it does the job and lasts the course does it matter what it looks like?

QUOTE I have made some enquiries about prices and everyone seems to be selling the Dynamis for the rrp price of £99.95 and nobody seems to be giving discount or have any in stock.

There was a huge "pent up" demand for the Dynamis as the delivery date slipped so much. If you can sell all you can get, why discount?

QUOTE Will it be worth waiting for? What else do you get for the extra money apart from being able to add more controllers and a seperate programming track?
You also get a PC connection and the ability to add power boosters to run even more engines at a time. Basically it makes the Dynamis a complete system.

Once the initial demand for the Dynamis is met, it is inevitable that it will be discounted. When this might be and when the Pro box is available is open to question; three months? six? who knows? Only you know how much you can afford, what you really want and when you want it.

David

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (harkins77 @ 4 Jan 2008, 21:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>a friend who doesn't have a layout saw the elite and thought that it looked like a toy compared to the Dynamis.

Looks probably due to Hornby's main market ?

You only have to look at the Hornby styled H & M controllers to see the parentage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts