Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have been thinking about this problem for a while now, and really need a solution...

I am constructing a very large N gauge layout, with a Lenz Set 100 at the core of operation, which will hopefully appear on the exhibition circuit from 2008 to 2010

Each loco is being programmed with its own address, usin PROM
However, during this process all layout operations STOP

Clearly, this is NOT suitable for use during exhibition use
Is this a quirk of the system, or are there alternatives?

·
Registered
342 Posts
A seperate siding connected to the programming terminal on the lenz set 100 is the only solution programming on the main has some limitations so a seperate siding will give you somewhere to fully program a chip

·
DT
4,794 Posts
Programming mode shuts down normal operations. So you would need a separate system to program whilst running the other trains.

I would drive the loco onto a siding that can be switched (dpdt) over to another DCC set to program. You can pick up a cheap system on eBay or lash out on a second Lenz system.

The bonus is that the second system could act as a backup to the first - a good thing for exhibitions.

Does Lenz shut down booster stations too when going into programming mode? I'm not sure as I don't run boosters, but that could be one solution if it doesn't.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The LVZ100 will eventually be integrated into a computer setup, allowing the minimum number of operators to use the layout and even leaving automated if need be with just supervision, so that the layout meets the WTD

I already have a programming track separate from the main layout
However, as soon as the PROM menu is activated the main layout switches off, and clearly this cannot be used

The only alternative is to shut down the entire main layout in advance (which isn't good from an exhibition point of view) or to have a separate system
I had looked at SPROG, but this will require an additional USB controller (and they ain't cheap!)

Ironically, the decoders shouldn't require reprogramming during an exhibition as everything should be prepared in advance, but we will be inviting members of the public to use and test the equipment, and to bring along their own models
This will hopefully give people insight into DCC

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 21 Jan 2007, 12:20) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I had looked at SPROG, but this will require an additional USB controller (and they ain't cheap!)
What do you mean by "USB controller"? If you are short of USB ports use an unpowered hub, they're cheap enough.

Andrew Crosland

·
Registered
17 Posts
there is aproduct on the web that lets you program decoders before you install them, i cant remember the site, but iwill come back to you.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (owen69 @ 23 Jan 2007, 08:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>there is aproduct on the web that lets you program decoders before you install them, i cant remember the site, but iwill come back to you.
ESU have announced a new item which does this. It says its a "new professional test stand for decoders: With its assistance you can test all decoders before the installation into the locomotive thoroughly. But the professional test stand apart from a connection type for the with 6 pins and also 8-pin NEM interface also a plug for the 21-pin mtc interface. An LED monitor, a loudspeaker and a 5-pin engine with rotor round the equipment off."

·
Registered
204 Posts
QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 22 Jan 2007, 22:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That'll be the SPROG

My understanding of this is that a second USB Controller is required, when used with the existing Lenz USB Controller
Anyway, that's what the information says, but it might be wrong!
To use the USB version of SPROG you just need a USB cable and plug it into any USB port on your computer (or via a hub if you are short of ports). The Lenz device provides an interface between USB and XpressNet --- you don't need another one of these to use SPROG.

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 22 Jan 2007, 22:47) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>That'll be the SPROG

My understanding of this is that a second USB Controller is required, when used with the existing Lenz USB Controller
Anyway, that's what the information says, but it might be wrong!
Which information? SPROG is standalone and is not used with any other DCC equipment.

The serial version is no longer available. That would require a USB-serial adapter if your PC had no serial ports.

The USB version connects directly between a PC and the programming track.

Andrew Crosland

·
Registered
882 Posts
USB ports aren't a problem
At home the desktop computer has 18 USB ports
At exhibitions the laptop computer has 6 USB ports

The Lenz USB Controller and the associated software I have for computer control advises that a SECOND USB Controller is required, otherwise the same problem occurs and the Lenz LVZ100 shuts down

·
Registered
825 Posts
QUOTE (M8 INTERNET @ 23 Jan 2007, 19:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>USB ports aren't a problem
At home the desktop computer has 18 USB ports
At exhibitions the laptop computer has 6 USB ports

The Lenz USB Controller and the associated software I have for computer control advises that a SECOND USB Controller is required, otherwise the same problem occurs and the Lenz LVZ100 shuts down
That has absolutely nothing to do with SPROG.

You will need an isolated or switched programming track so that SPROG cannot be connected to any part of the layout at the same time as any other booster.

Andrew Crosland

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
QUOTE I already have a programming track separate from the main layout
However, as soon as the PROM menu is activated the main layout switches off, and clearly this cannot be used

This doesn't sound right, if it is truly isolated and the wiring of the programming track is correct I would think hat this should be impossible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts