Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon this on youtube (when I should have been doing paperwork) - I would guess, judging by the commentry it's either Australia or New Zealand.

Pretty hard hitting lierally - somehow I don't think it would be allowed in the UK - but maybe that's the sort of thing required to drive the message home ?

What do you think ?

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Watched the u tube vid linked by Brian and thought it was good. Perhaps needs more impact!

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Hi Brian, I've looked at several cases on these accidents and it mostly appears that there is allways a level of carelessness on the user.A few examples are cars stalling,(you have to be the unluckiest person in the world if this happens to you) the case I read pointed to a dodgy starter on the car. A young lad with his hood over his head and personal stereo on so he didnt hear car horns beeping at him.And quite a few were suspected suicide cases so maybe public info films would not have kept these people alive. I think it is all down to common sense,everyone knows that any contact with a moving train isnt going to be much fun. Whatever warnings there are people will still take chances.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
I cant understand why it was low key, the drink drive ads are quite in your face.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Personally I find them both quite disturbing - let's just remember any train can kill.

Regards

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
It's an Australian ad from either South Australia or Victoria. There have been a few pretty bad train accidents at level crossings and the like last year. I think the worst was the QR tilt train that hit the semi trailer that had tried to drive around the barriers at a level crossing near Bundaberg. The train was doing about 140kph at the time.
I have noticed that many government ads here have taken to use "shock and awe" methods as the old lets not scare them to much ads don't seem to work.

Charles Emerson
Queensland
Australia

QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 8 Feb 2009, 21:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I stumbled upon this on youtube (when I should have been doing paperwork) - I would guess, judging by the commentry it's either Australia or New Zealand.

Pretty hard hitting lierally - somehow I don't think it would be allowed in the UK - but maybe that's the sort of thing required to drive the message home ?

What do you think ?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Australian safety adverts are not known for their subtlety. Another memorable campaign over here (for car seatbelts) had the slogan - "No Belt No Brains" accompanying the image of a head shaped indent into a cracked windscreen. Ouch!

You should see some of the anti-smoking ones as well... Drives home the message.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
On the news today it was mentioned that Network Rail hadn't seen any results from their campaign in the UK. Presumably this means no reduction in the rate of incidents, so maybe the more hard-hitting (no pun intended) approach is called for.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
Incredible that people are that stupid.

Regards

1 - 15 of 15 Posts