Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Team, I want to add a port area with one or two vessels; timeframe would be late 50's - early 60's, preferably general cargo or one general cargo and one tanker (+tug?). I have been looking everywhere (at least that's what my wife tells me) but there seem to be little available. I found a beautiful model of an SD14 in 1:76, but at 280 out of my league. Appreciate your help!! Thanks, Rene.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I don't know if the following suggestion is of any help but.....have you considered the toy boats made for children, I don't know whats still available but I know they are only a couple of pounds each and suspect that some are not far off OO.

Regards

John

·
Administrator
9,845 Posts
There was a thread about ship models some months ago. You might be able to dig it up using the Forum search facility. I think Neil S Wood did a blog entry on the fishing boats on his layout. I am sure he will add a better reply when he logs in later from Oz.

David

·
Registered
16 Posts
It would be quite fun to scratch build one out of this and that. I built a couple of small vessels for an N gauge layout, but even in that scale the size of ships relative to rolling stock can be a bit of a problem. Bear in mind that 200 foot long would be a pretty small coaster , but would work out nearly 3 feet long on your OO layout. If you are thinking of an ocean-going ship it might well be 10 or 12 feet long.

That said, there are some good prototype coaster considerably less than the 200 foot mark. I made a tug ans a trawler - fishing boats are smallish.

Visit a second hand book shop and get a copy of the observer's book of ships for about your chosen period and have a look. Or have a day out at the National Maritime Museum.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
This is the harbour on my layout

I will be doing some improvement to it at some point in the future which I will put in my blog. As regards the boats the small blue one is available with a similar onewhich has a rear cab from Harburn Hobbies in Edinburgh.

The trawler is from Anchor Precision Models in Port Righ in Skye, the address is in blog somewhere. I don't know if Charles Crossan is still doing this range as It has been some time since I seen his advert. I keep meaning to email him to ask but keep forgetting. He used to do a range of about six British fishing vessels including Fifies, which were expensive but very good.

QUOTE Bear in mind that 200 foot long would be a pretty small coaster , but would work out nearly 3 feet long on your OO layout. If you are thinking of an ocean-going ship it might well be 10 or 12 feet long. If you're ever in Glasgow have a look at the Museum of Transport. There are models of many famous ships such as HMS Hood, Queen Mary and Elizabeth. These are at a bigger scale 1/100 or 1/160 but are still about ten or twelve feet long.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Jonathan,

Re posting pictures:
1) Try the Help system by clicking on 'Help' top right of header to index.
2) Also look at Posting photos and graphics which gives more information on how to do it.

If all this fails to assist, try contacting 'Admin' via the 'My Assistant' heading.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Jonathan @ 31 May 2007, 01:18) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How do you post pictures in a message?
First you have to get the web address of the picture. The picture has to be posted on the web, this can be done by uploading it to Photobucket or by becoming a Plus Member and uploading the picture to the gallery.

You then insert the web address into the "insert image" pop up which you can actibvate by clicking on the ikon just below Fonts. It then wraps the address with

1 - 9 of 9 Posts