Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
There are always interesting hobby items appearing on a regular basis at Lidl, Aldi and Netto.

If any of you spot anything add it to this thread and we can all rush down to our local bargain basement store and pick the goodies up.

If would be useful to stick to the three stores listed as they are national and handy for most Model Rail Forum members.

And in time those who miss the bargains can reflect on the huge fortune they have not saved!

Happy bargain hunting
Gary

·
DT
4,794 Posts
A guy on the Slot Forum went into TKMAXX this week and came out with a £22 slot car for £2.99. The (sales) people sometimes miss the real value of these thing when sales are on. A train or a car can sometimes be just seen as another toy.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
Sorry i didnt notice this thread and posted in the other one but i will copy my post here.

I dont see why we should stick to those 3 stores. surely any national chain store would be usefull even supermarkets sometimes have good deals. can i suggest we turn this into a bargin watch rather than spacific to those 3 stores as we have already had an entry for TKmax and i have made one for woolworths.

my post from the other thread.
(drum roll please....)
Woolworths also have a good varispeed set for £7.

It is the same design as one i got from B&Q about 3 years ago for £30!

I now dont have to keep swapping those pesky collets. i just have a drill for 3.2 and one for 2.4 and another for evrything else and 2 spare fransformers!
they also had a glue gun for about £2

This thread is a great idea
Peter

Sorry i should have said the £7 includes the drill transformer and about 20 accessories. 8,000-30,000rpm

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its fantastic! A 101 piece variable speed craft set for £7 including a mains plug in variable speed micro drill all in a metal case with perspex window. OK a lot of the parts are spare grinding and sanding blades but even so.

Whose the next bargain spotter?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lidl have got a nice little hobby tool box in stock right now for just £1.99. It the Powerfix Keter Titan 14" tool box measuring 353x174x137 with a handle, a lift up lid with a compartmented tray under, a lift out tray below this and the compartment under for larger tools. I have a bigger box that is simply too big for hobby tools so this seemed handy at the right price.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
334 Posts
Aldi down here in Swansea have the Digital Caliper at £8.99 and a nice little Tap & Die set for £3.99. The Tap & Die set has M3,M4,M5 & M6 taps and dies and suitable wrenches.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just bought 2 18v battery drill/drivers from Netto @ £9.99 each. Although the chargers are 3/5 hr but otherwise they are fine.

Not in the deWalt class (which I use for work) but just the job for around the layout & excellent value for money.

regards
Brian

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just bought a good storage case from Wilkinsons. 14" x 12" x 5" deep. Hinges up to reveal bottom compartment (no dividers). Top compartment is with hinged clear lid and has 3 long & narrow compartments and 4 small ones. Black plastic and £4.00 each - very good. I've got my Slaters plasticard sheets in the bottom compartment, plastic rods, section etc in the long & thin ones and my smaller fittings in the small ones. At last all my plastic scratchbuilding bits in one place. Will probably get one or two more - loads of uses!!

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Was in my local Texaco petrol station buying a can of petrol for the lawn mower when I couldn't help but notice one of those laser level things at the checkout. It was £3.99, but as I discovered when I got it home, you don't get the two AAA batteries. Is it a good deal? I don't know but I'm pleased with it.

My need is for tracklaying (Remember NOT to look at the laser; point it away from you at all times!) It's just shown me where a very long sequence of points in a ladder has gone off the straight and narrow; thankfully it's the last point in the sequence, so not too much relaying to do.

David

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thats a neat idea, I'll have to look into that.

Not really MR related(or it may be ?) Aldi had a fantastic Router Table for £24.99 and it fits all routers which are less than 155mm diameter.

Haven't assembled it yet but quality looks OK.

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
>Not really MR related(or it may be ?) Aldi had a fantastic Router Table for £24.99
It's not a DCC signalling thing then

David

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE Aldi had a fantastic Router Table for £24.99 and it fits all routers which are less than 155mm diameter.

I had a look at that the other week as it seems remarkable value for money although don't really have the need for one however there will be those who do.

Netto have a £9.99 table top workbench for sale right now that does seem an ideal housing for those rolling stock detailing jobs and scratchbuilding projects.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
QUOTE Netto have a £9.99 table top workbench for sale right now

They have cut the price to £6.99 to clear them out. At that price I bought one! Ideal for all sorts of table top jobs.

Happy modelling
Gary

1 - 20 of 24 Posts