Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
garage hobbit!!!
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as you think life is swimming along nicely, along comes the hotel director and makes you redundant!

On the positive side of things, more time for modelling

Anyone in the Lincolnshire area need a hard working person with a great hobby?

Brian
CME Milldale
(formally Restaurant Manager in a hotel)

·
Premium Member
2,578 Posts
Sorry to hear your bad news. Hopefully you wont be out of work long, Good luck.
Steve

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
QUOTE (bro sewell @ 12 Feb 2009, 10:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Just as you think life is swimming along nicely, along comes the hotel director and makes you redundant!

On the positive side of things, more time for modelling

Anyone in the Lincolnshire area need a hard working person with a great hobby?

Brian
CME Milldale
(formally Restaurant Manager in a hotel)
Plenty needed down here but would mean repatriation to sunny Padstow,sorry to hear by the way.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
That's a toughie Brian

Hope it doesn't last too long.

Regards

·
Registered
604 Posts
Hard luck Brian, I was made redundant twice and both times got a better job, eventually. These are hard times for all and as a pensioner have seen my mothly incomings drop £400. Luckily I can absorb it and just spend the savings instead. I live in Lincolnshire too and know how hard it is for people to find work of whatever type. Good luck in your hunt for work.

Patrick Draper

·
garage hobbit&#33;&#33;&#33;
1,715 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
QUOTE (frame69 @ 12 Feb 2009, 12:19) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Plenty needed down here but would mean repatriation to sunny Padstow,sorry to hear by the way.

Thanks for the idea, already done the West Country about 6 years back and I now have a house with a morgage (propabily bigger than its worth now!) and the wife has a well paid job up here

Looking into retraining into something else, not alot going on up here in Lincolnshire apart from bloody big snow flakes again!

My mate up at the last place hasn't being paid for 6 weeks so looks like as an industry, hotels are not as safe as we thought

Off to Butlins on Wednesday to see if I can get something just to pay the bills

Brian
CME Mildale

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Hey Bro

Good luck at Butlins, let us know how it goes and if you want me to ask my APM about opportunities over your way.

How did Tammy take the news?

Done anything to East Anglian?

Andii

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about this Brian. My best wishes for finding a new job

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Sorry to hear about your job loss Brian. I used to work in catering too and usualy jobs weren't hard to come by. However I was prepared to travel and stay in some odd places. It's harder if you want to stay in the same place.

Doug, you would only regret the ECoS if you were one of the few who was prepared to fork out an extra 200 euro for the colour screen.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi Brian,

I'm really sorry to hear about the job. I hope there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you and you aren't out of work for long especially during this hard economic time.

All the best.

Kain.

·
Registered
526 Posts
OP, if you are serious about retraining and don't want to move, try the bus companies. For me it ended quite a few years in the wilderness and a lot of dead end jobs. put me back on my feet. I work in insurance now, in a call centre. easy hours acceptable money.

Driving buses is actually quite a lot of fun and the passengers are almost like hotel guests only for a much shorter time.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
Actually the insurance call centre isn't such a bad idea either. I started off with my current company in a claims processing call centre when I first came out here as a stop gap job and have since worked up to other areas. Having been a hotel manager I'm sure you're used to listening to lots of whinging.

·
Premium Member
4,854 Posts
Sorry to hear your bad news Brian and hope you find something soon.

The recession is hitting just about everywhere and even here in sunny Dubai everyone is living on a knife edge. The construction industry here came to a grinding halt all in the space of 2 months and we've been told that if we don't pick up some more work by the end of March we will be closed down. Luckily I've already retired once with a good, indexed linked, final salary pension so am not quite so worried as some of our younger staff. I'll just finally retire to our home in China and get cracking on building my layout.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** really sorry to hear that Brian - If you fancy sunnier climes on the other side of the planet then WA is always short of competent restaurant and hotel services staff - Australians are OK at many things but make B awful hospitality industry / customer service people in general so all the best establishments have many expats and "offshore" staff!!

Too much Sun and not much snow though... Tomorrow AM we are supposed to have a very welcome thunderstorm, but it'll last an hour or two at most, with B all rain and it'll still be 30 plus.... and immediately after it'll be back to a boringly Blue sky again.... The only real impact will be just slightly more humidity for a short while!

Richard

*** Peter - I guess it depends - if you will have to change from an attractive livery to a boring black one with a cycling Lion on your forehead :) :) :).

Richard

QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 13 Feb 2009, 09:45) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>i found out a week ago that i am going to be nationalised!

i still havent figured out if this is good news or not?!

Peter

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Hi Brian

Sorry to hear about the job - been there myself in the early eighties recession - glad to be retired (early).
Hopefully something at Butlins as they are looking to take on more people although only as temporary workers for the summer.

If you want to pass some time drop me a PM and I'll give you my address/phone in Skeggie.

Chris

1 - 20 of 70 Posts