Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Hello again,

I'm looking for some lighting decoders for N scale to operate the white and red directional lights in my dummy locomotives and driving passenger coaches. The best I can find so far is the TCS FL4 which has four outputs and I can get 5 for £48 which is £9.50 each. Is there anything cheaper out there as I only need two outputs in each coach?

^ The end goal...

Also, is there any need to bother with complicated consisting in the case of my TGV, as the locomotive and dummy are always on the same train? i.e. can I give the TCS M1 locomotive decoder the same address as the TCS FL4 in the dummy and the directional lighting will work without further faffing? My current digital system is the Roco multiMaus, although I believe some sort of consisting can be done in the decoders themselves with some kind of secondary address system?

Thanks if anyone can advise,

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
The TCS is probably the best bet, unless you can find anyone with some decoders with blown motor outputs & intact lighting outputs.

As for the TGV just programme both decoders (one at a time though) to the same address.

Hope this helps.

·
is asleep
758 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 17 Jun 2008, 09:07) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The TCS is probably the best bet, unless you can find anyone with some decoders with blown motor outputs & intact lighting outputs.
As for the TGV just programme both decoders (one at a time though) to the same address.
Thanks very much Brian!

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Hi

I think TCS are the best for this application by a long shot, but if you are game, hornby decoders. I wouldnt do it but that something cheaper.

For the sake of 10 GBP stick with TCS.

I saw last week a beautiful 6 car Kato n gauge Richard did with full directional lighting and tiny surface mounts to light the coaches. That had function decoders in it.

Hope that helps.

m

1 - 5 of 5 Posts