Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Being electrically challenged
could anyone tell me how to wire for a headlight and tailight plus a flashing light for the roof of my plymouth shunter , as i understand it would need a four function decoder.
My problem is 1. how to wire it correctly and 2. how to control each light independantly /set the flashing light for the roof and the corresponding CV with its value.
Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Hi Zmil/Richard,

Many thanks for the advice, i installed the decoder and miniatronics led's this afternoon (digitrax Dz143) and have fitted it so the headlight and tailight are on in both directions with a flashing roof light on the third function F1 changing the CV 51 to 6, the flashing LED works when going forward but in reverse goes out do i need to wire in the purple lead and run it on F2 as well joining it to the green wire with another resistor to work and complete the install, sorry i have explained it in a long winded way but as i said originally i am electrically challenged lol.
Here is a pic to show progress so far.

http://nick--orwin.photoblog.me.uk/p51751060.html

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 7 Jul 2008, 05:28) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Hi Nick

Arghhh a digitrax decoder - where's the hammer???

No, you need only set the appropriate CV for that light to tell it to remain on in both directions. Green is usually controlled by CV51

I don't have the digitrax instructions to hand, but if it was a TCS you'd set CV51 to 35

regards

Richard

Thanks Richard,
I tried the settings on CV 51 and found a value of 37 worked in both directions with a beacon light effect.
I see your view on digitrax decoders now

One quick question if need to trim the wires to fit inside the little body of the loco do the functions lose any data i have programmed into the decoder and need resetting.
Now to paint the body either U.P. of course
or a plain white with orange wasp like striping.

·
Premium Member
6,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it 'horses for courses' as i see it gents, and i'm just
to be able to change the CV to obtain the desired effect and have a little shunter for the layout presently with its body being stripped, mention was made "keep it simple" good advice especially to a newcomer to DCC like myself

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.