Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
DT
4,794 Posts

L240067 Wagon set III, submarine transport, DR, Epoch II
Set with heavy duty wagon SSyms Köln 14 535, laden with small submarine of the type sea lion
107 and a flat wagon with brakeman's platform Omm Linz 19 105, laden with 4 torpedoes, close
coupler kinematics, coupler pocket as per NEM 362. Total length: Length over buffers 276 mm.

Here is mine:
L240066 - Wagen-Set 2tlg 'U-Boot-Transport' DR Ep.II

If you are interested in this, check out the Artmaster models also for different military wagon loads. See them at Ontracks here. Some interesting items at reasonable prices there.

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
***Its an interesting load but it looks a little precious sitting there on those two wee stands.

I wonder how it would actually have been supported / secured if they went by rail - I'm betting some big baulks of timber and lots more props/supports + chains etc to secure the mini-sub at least... I wonder too about the torpedoes - something that long, full of amatol and fitted with gyros and other sensitive stuff would surely need more support and protection....

·
In depth idiot
7,662 Posts
The periscope mask and other top structure would have been struck down for transit too. In reality such loads would almost certainly be sheeted over to conceal them from interested eyes. Even if there is no intel security issue regarding the equipment, it is generally desireable to conceal everything possible about the location and movement of military hardware. Trouble is that makes for much less fun as a load. No problem in principle trucking the explosive filled torpedoes around. But usually guidance, fusing and detonating components are only fitted by an armourer immediately prior to use.

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
Richard & 34c beat me too it !

I wondered about the "DR" insignier on the wagon though.

Shame that the sub was not presented in a "transit" condition - I have an otherwise excellent Marklin wagon with an eight wheel airport fire tender - it still has the foam branch on the cab roof, mirrors & other items that surely would not be fitted for transit.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE (Richard Johnson @ 30 Jan 2009, 22:44) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>***Its an interesting load but it looks a little precious sitting there on those two wee stands.

I wonder how it would actually have been supported / secured if they went by rail - I'm betting some big baulks of timber and lots more props/supports + chains etc to secure the mini-sub at least... I wonder too about the torpedoes - something that long, full of amatol and fitted with gyros and other sensitive stuff would surely need more support and protection....
Yes, that is correct. It would only be seen like this when partially prepared for transit. Or when being unloaded.

I do wonder about the DR logo, that would make it East Germany Epoch III or IV wouldn't it. Where's John Woodall when you need him?

Nice pictures Doug.

·
Registered
423 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 30 Jan 2009, 00:23) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Yes, the Fleischmann set was too dear though as it included a lot of other items which weren't quite as interesting as the U Boat. This should work out cheaper.

I have see one at local model shop loco with five wagons price £309 and extra five wagons £155.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 31 Jan 2009, 10:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I do wonder about the DR logo, that would make it East Germany Epoch III or IV wouldn't it. Where's John Woodall when you need him?

Well, As I have a wee bit of knowledge I suppose I should impart some of it!

Basically by the time WW II was in full swing, the DRG had stopped putting Deutsche Reichsbahn on freight rolling stock and were just putting the letters DR on it.

Now the six axel SSyms flat car was in fact built to carry tiger tanks (might actually have been king tigers but not sure) east. The first ones were not produced until 1942.

Would the little sub have been transported on SSyms? Someone with a bit more knowledge on German subs that late into the war may know.

Cheers

John

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
QUOTE (Brian Considine @ 31 Jan 2009, 09:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I have an otherwise excellent Marklin wagon with an eight wheel airport fire tender - it still has the foam branch on the cab roof, mirrors & other items that surely would not be fitted for transit.

I have three of these Marklin wagons. The best is an East German version (grey sides rather than black) which has a bell from Dresden cathedral on it. A stunning load which oneday I will improve the look of the timber framing and add chains etc.

Marklin actuall did a good job with this wagon and to my eye at least it does impart the fact that it can carry 80t loads and the printing on the bogies is pretty legable as well.

John

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Class 52, couple of passenger coaches for the troops, some box cars, 10-15 flat wagons, yep reasonable length train.

Maybe when it moved into eatern Poland/Russia you might want some Flack wagons and such like!

John

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Prototype accuracy is important Neil!

That being said,since we are talking about Lilliput, the do make one or two interesting model specific to the period 1939-1945.

John

·
Just another modeller
9,983 Posts
*** HI Neil

Its ages since I looked at a catalog, but aren't tigers/panthers/Mk4's part of the Roco Minitanks range... along with many other WW2 German guns, tank killers & other stuff etc...?

Richard

QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 2 Feb 2009, 05:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Thanks for that info John. It's given a good idea for a new train and loads.

Anyone know who makes 1/87 Tiger tank kits?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts