Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. about half a year ago i received a Lima 9400. i love the model to bits and pieces, even if it runs rather choppily at times. however a few months later it just could not run for mor than 3 seconds, so i stripped the motor down and examined that the magnetic ring around the core had been cracked and is extremely brittle. a chucked the faulty bit out and ended up ordering another chassis which said it was in working order, but when i received it i saw that it also has those same cracks, and I'm wondering if it actually has any affect on the running or not, or if "tri-angman" has swindled me.

·
Premium Member
6,484 Posts
Lima were making such models about 40 years ago so it is likely a veteran, all such models I disposed off 10 years ago having got the old stuff from father although he was not shy about swapping stock out for something better, mind the catch me who can ran in London about 1815? on a circuit open to folk to ride on it, I think it fell over after which there were no more takers, so you are a lot older even than this Lima item, it is a 94xx pannier tank and the tooling dates from 1979, you can buy a decent one from between £25 and £50, but better spend a bit more on something better.

·
In depth idiot
8,447 Posts
...the magnetic ring around the core had been cracked and is extremely brittle. a chucked the faulty bit out and ended up ordering another chassis which said it was in working order, but when i received it i saw that it also has those same cracks, and I'm wondering if it actually has any affect on the running or not...
Typically when a permanent magnet fractures, it creates a pair of new poles on the fracture. That's probably not going to help the motor's reliable starting and power output. (If I sound a little uncertain, it's because I have no idea of the original intended poles of this ring magnet...)

Really, exactly as Kris has suggested, this is a very dated product, and was very much a cost down item when new. It's more than the magnet that can fail, a few years ago I looked at a Lima J50 for a friend, which shares the same mechanism; and the plastic chassis was deforming, stopping the wheels going round smoothly. I think you would very much have to love these old things to punt any money on them...

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have a Hornby ringfield motor with a ring magnet in two pieces. I just superglued it back together and it works fine. Magnets are brittle but you can now get neo high power replacements for not a lot of money that coupled with a commutator clean and some new brushes and springs, puts the life back into such motors.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts