Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,201 Posts
Hi All,
I purchased a second hand lima class 66 OO loco today for a project i have in mind although i need to get the body off for detailing, after looking at the body i cant seem to find a way of removing the body without damaging it, is there a technique for removal ?

upnick.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Lima bodies usually just unclip from their chassis, although, as I don't have a class 60, I can't be certain that this applies for your model. Some of their models (eg the class 50) had clips at the front, behind the noses of the loco as well as at the sides.

·
Registered
189 Posts
With the Lima Prairie 2-6-2, I had difficulty taking off the body to repair the works and found that there is a screw behind the front guiding 'bogie'. It's a bit like a puzzle.

It is sometimes good to get a very small flat head and see where the fixing points are by gently teasing the edges and seeing where the least (and maximum) 'give' lies. If the body is fixed with clips this might be the way to investigate.

Hours of fun (and sometimes frustration).

I tend to lie up the difficult ones on my shelves near my desk and tackle them.

Incidentally, does anyone know how to remove the top off a bachmann mainline tender (Green BR). There seems to be no 'way in' to separate the parts and the weight is loose so needs to be fixed.

Anyone ?

On with the repairs.

Basil

·
No Longer Active.
13,319 Posts
QUOTE (Basil @ 4 May 2008, 17:43) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>It is sometimes good to get a very small flat head and see where the fixing points are by gently teasing the edges and seeing where the least (and maximum) 'give' lies. If the body is fixed with clips this might be the way to investigate.
I find careful use of a trimming knife (Stanley type) blade useful for this task.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The Class 59/66 body shell has a clip at the cab front between the headlights, it is a little tricky to get open without some sort of damage.

The clip locks on to the cab glazing which is glued in. If you are careful, a knife can be used to lever it open.

Not Limas best design!

Alternatively, try removing the power bogie from the chassis, this will give you better access to the front but you may be impeded by the cab moulding.

To remove the power bogie, carefully undo the screws on the under side, remove the bogie moulding with the model upside down, push the 'inner' bogie end into the model so that the wheels fit inside, this should allow you to rotate the bogie and pull it out. be careful as the wires will still be attached.

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE (hairyhandedfool @ 5 May 2008, 10:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The Class 59/66 body shell has a clip at the cab front between the headlights, it is a little tricky to get open without some sort of damage.

The clip locks on to the cab glazing which is glued in. If you are careful, a knife can be used to lever it open.

Not Limas best design!

Alternatively, try removing the power bogie from the chassis, this will give you better access to the front but you may be impeded by the cab moulding.

To remove the power bogie, carefully undo the screws on the under side, remove the bogie moulding with the model upside down, push the 'inner' bogie end into the model so that the wheels fit inside, this should allow you to rotate the bogie and pull it out. be careful as the wires will still be attached.

Good advice and should be documented.

Are there service sheets for lima on some website like there are on Bachmann and Hornby sites

I might take a look on the www and leave a link. It would be a mighty useful website ????????????? especially for an ardent tinkerer like meself

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
894 Posts
The Hornby 59 is here, but it differs from the original Lima model around the motor and underframe.

The Hornby 66 is here, but also differs from the original Lima model around the motor and underframe.

I can't find anything for the Lima model but they used to supply sheets with the model I think.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a 59 new from beatties , it had no dismanteling guide. However it is as per above , clips in the cabs and along the sides.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Perhaps I am confusing the sheet with something else then.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts