Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned a redundant Lima O gauge 4 wheel shunter from the day after Noah told his passengers to 'go forth and multiply!'

As far as I know, it still works.

some years ago, I read somewhere that the Lima shunter was in fact a Kof shunter with a quite tall cab ...a thing Lima did for no apparent reason?

However, to prove a point, I removed the cab, surgically, lowered its height to approximately what I took to be the height of a Kof shunter's cab, and glued it back on.

BTW, this was before it became a museum piece.

Can any of you lot who are into German protoypes confirm/deny this was in fact what Lima ought to have done in the first place?

also, what colours should it be painted?

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
I can't confirm or deny Lima's intentions, but it does make sense. As to colour schemes Neil posted a review of the Brawa model recently. The only other livery I know of is Balfour Beatty rail operate at least one, whch I think is used at Asford.

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll get it painted then.....maybe post a piccy?

the Lima O gauge mechanism..(I believe it was their standard motor bogie) was used under a number of kits from the 70's and 80's....of shunters and the like.....including , I believe, a steamy.

the diesel shunter was a strange wee beastie...the motor bogie actually sat inside the 'underframe'...literally....the wheels popping out through slots cut in the bottom.

quite why Lima modeled it in the high cab fashion I don't know..the low cab, Kof-look s far better suited.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 7 Aug 2007, 19:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'll get it painted then.....maybe post a piccy?
the diesel shunter was a strange wee beastie...the motor bogie actually sat inside the 'underframe'...literally....the wheels popping out through slots cut in the bottom.

I look forward to the pic.....wine red?

Strangely enough they used the same motor mounting arrangement on the HO "BR" shunter as well

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 7 Aug 2007, 19:02) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'll get it painted then.....maybe post a piccy?

I look forward to the pic.....wine red?

Strangely enough they used the same motor mounting arrangement on the HO "BR" shunter as well

Regards

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, I've dug it out from a very dusty storage box......cleaned it up..it still works too.

plus, I've done some googling for pix.....railfaneurope.net being very useful.

as far as I can ascertain....when I chopped the body all those years ago......without benefit of the net, I must have chopped too much from the top of the bonnet.....if the pix are anything to go by?

the Lima underframe unit..the black plastic bit that fits over the motor/wheel unit, seems to be based upon the DB class 332 to 335 shunters, or Loks. I say 'based' as Lima has been a bit brief with some of the moulding...what looks like some sort of separator on the N/S chassis side is a bit small...the air tanks under the cab are a bit brief, but the general arrangement of springs, lockers, etc..[sandboxes?] are in the right places.

the radiator matches that found on the 332 class best....but I've cut it a bit short on the top, to get a more appropriate balance between bonnet and lowered cab...I suppose...it WAS a long time ago.

the buffers are a bit on the short side.....easily cured....

the cab roof lacks the typical german overhang at the front....and is 'symbolic' at rear.

the engineroom side doors on the Lima are louvered, not always so on the DB prototypes.

exhaust and [air filter?] are about right.

to show how old my conversion is, the blue lima plastic has faded in places, and the small bits of white plasticard used as fillers have gone yellow!

so, I might fit larger diameter half-tanks [air] under the cab each side.....this will cover the rear springs, which they seem to do on the prototypes?

larger buffers on longer shanks..I have to repair the housings anyway.

I have found a photo of one Lok with a sort of raised cover over the bonnet top cooling grill....a nice detail to add?

glass to cab....can even model an early version with curtains instead of glass..again a nice detail to add?

the lights need sorting...two are broken/missing.

interesting couplers on some pix....like scharfenburg jobs, long extensions, painted yellow?

idea for an O gauge long Kadee?

colours can be faded red, blue with white band, all sorts.

will keep posting, despite complaints.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QUOTE (BRITHO @ 7 Aug 2007, 13:33) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>The only other livery I know of is Balfour Beatty rail operate at least one, whch I think is used at Asford.

According to my contacts BBR sold it to a preservation society some time ago. I'm trying to track down which one

·
Registered
762 Posts
I seem to remember it was a model of a Plymouth (US) shunter which might explain why you did not fiind a picture in Europe. Not sure if this is what you have as no piccy.

QAndrew

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
QUOTE (RedgateModels @ 11 Mar 2011, 13:08) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>According to my contacts BBR sold it to a preservation society some time ago. I'm trying to track down which one

Would that be the shunter on the left of the photo you are refering to?

Balflour Beatty Shunters, Darnall 13-09-1993

If the "O" gauge shunter is based on the model of the "OO" gauge shunter, then it is loosely based on a US Plymouth shunter.

K9-70

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HI...Lima shunter [in O gauge, anyway] is definitely European in origin....the lower body parts [footplate, footboards, etc.] are definitely of Kof origins...

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
QUOTE (alastairq @ 2 May 2011, 12:22) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>HI...Lima shunter [in O gauge, anyway] is definitely European in origin....the lower body parts [footplate, footboards, etc.] are definitely of Kof origins...

Would there be any chance you could upload a photo of your shunter please ?

K9-70

Edit: would this be your shunter (D2852) in the ebay link below ?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-LIMA-O-GAUGE...052881374122067

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hello...yes, a shunter like mine used to be...but not my shunter.....

I have issues with cameras for past few months...ie lent mine to family member, not got it back for some time.....but will see if I can rejuvenate my old one and grab a piccy.....[funny, thought I did that a while ago......?]

·
Registered
501 Posts
I can't seem to find the exact model for it. But it does have all the features of a USA built Plymouth. Here is one that is serving in Hawai.

If you searecxh for plymouth switchers there are a variety of models. The Lima was sold here in the USA in various scales from O to N scale by atlas, or perhaps that is resold.

·
Registered
501 Posts
http://i.ebayimg.com/22/!BpME!C...M1!~~_3.JPG
I assume this is the model you speak of. Website won't let me embed this so you have to link to it.

Many modellers here tend to think it is a narrow gauge model sold as standard gauge. Either way it's a good platform for some scratch building.

If you go to this site you can find good pictures of Kofs by putting kof in the search box.
http://railfaneurope.net/

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LIMA-O-GAUGE-SHUNTER...9#ht_500wt_1156

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LIMA-0-O-GAUGE-0-4-0...3#ht_500wt_1156

above are two Lima diesel shunters currently on ebay

these are O gauge, of course, not of US prototype origin [I don't think Lima did an O gauge US prototype loco?]....the body shell/cab is quite tall...I get the feeling Lima made a hybrid here... the chassis portion...ie the black part below the blue bodyshell, is a reasonably accurate {?} rendition of the frame and running gear of a typical Kof 2...including the long step, airtanks, what may be a fuel sedimenter, etc.

The step is probably a bit too low, compared to the axle boxes...and the detail, as such, is old technology half relief, moulded on.

The drive is a Lima O gauge 4-wheel motor bogie /power truck, probably as used in their O gauge diesels , etc, of various European prototypes, including UK.

Incidentally, I hope the eventual ebay winner of the link K9-70 posted up wasn't too disappointed with their purchase.....from the photos it didn't appear to have it's motor bogie.......??

below is a link to the HO LIma 4 wheel shunter of old......maybe this might have had a US prototype?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LIMA-CONTINENTAL-DIE...#ht_2410wt_1139

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok...I've literally glued my old camera back together....bits of code 100 rail to hold batteries in, tape for the card, etc.....

This is my modified Lima O gauge [Kof] shunter,as it stands at the moment, as a project that keeps finding the back burner...

the three main separate pieces...ie power truck/motor bogie....underframe and top.

I have yet to find the will to produce some plasticard doors [open, of course] and maybe some curtains for the cab doorways, a cab floor with Herr Kofdriver to stand on........some nice flush glazing might help.....oh, and buffers, couplers and maybe cobble up those lights for the front? {I wonder if some German firm makes nice O scale castings of these???].....

There are huge rectangular areas front and rear, within the underframe moulding, to fit lumps of lead for traction....might nip down the church tonight, see what I can find?

I do wonder whether a DCC chip might improve the slow running characteristics of these old lima power units?

Or..is it really worth it?

Have a selection of Lima, Rivarossi, Pola wagons and tanks to go with it......some years ago I spotted a German make of SpurO wagons..[NOT Lenz!] on ebay Germany....cannot recall maker, but there were some lovely [old-time??} 4-wheel tankers.....

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Definately based on a Kof shunter
the old time tankers sound like Raimo products, any pictures available ?
Rivarossi made some very nice models at about the same time.
I have a West German V160 Diesel and a kit to build a BR 60 0-6-0 steam Loco.

Regards
David

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'll second that, although fairly loosely based on a Kof! If you look at the works plate on the Lima model, it has Gmeinder & Co on it - . I googled it and got directed to photos of kof shunters, and this one in particular looks like it may be the one lima sort of had in mind:

And with the model height reduced as above, it certainly does look pretty similar!

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
There is a link on Railways of Germany to a O Gauge layout making a tour around the exibition circuit.
It uses Lenz, lima, Raimo and Rivarossi to good effect
also has examples of the Tank wagens mentioned.

Regards
David

1 - 19 of 19 Posts