Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine gave me a half a dozen Lima Passenger Carriages, is it possible to either fit Hornby bogie's to them or modify the couplers to Hornby types., any help would be most appreciated.

David

·
Registered
9 Posts
Lima & Hornby couplings should be identical. Unless your friend has changed the original Lima couplings. Can you describe them?

·
Registered
29 Posts
QUOTE (Rudy @ 26 Oct 2008, 16:15) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Lima & Hornby couplings should be identical. Unless your friend has changed the original Lima couplings. Can you describe them?

Another possibility is that the coaches are the HO Lima versions and not OO. These had European style looped couplings, I think. There is an illustration of some of the different types here: http://www.hobbiesplus.com.au/couplings.htm . The left most is standard British Horby and would be the same as OO Lima, but the HO Lima versions would have the second from left.

I'm afraid this doesn't help the original question. That depends on how the couplings are attached. And if the coaches are HO (3.5mm/foot) and not OO (4mm/foot) then the heights may not match other vehicles. Changing the bogies could also be difficult due to the size issue.

Regards, Phil.

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (philden @ 27 Oct 2008, 02:24) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Another possibility is that the coaches are the HO Lima versions and not OO. These had European style looped couplings, I think.

You are quite right in your description of the early Lima UK couplings on their HO coaches, however, later versions had a version of the tension lock coupling. I have both types in my fleet.

BTW David if you don't want them (assuming they are HO) please let me know as I still need about 12-15 of them.

Regards

1 - 4 of 4 Posts