Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
Given that limited editions do exist and following on from recent controversy what about creating a dedicated limited edition watchlist subforum pinned to the top of The Station Concourse where members could add any info they learn about limited editions?

This would permit topics to be created specific to a certain limited edition model permiting info to be added about how best to obtain these models.

You might then argue that the subforum would attract the attention of speculators and collectors however at least this would go some way towards levelling up the playing field for everybody.

Any views on this?

It may need a healthy show of interest to convince the powers that be this is a worthwhile excercise.

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
As you rightly point out, there are two facets to this, which makes it difficult . . .
Sort of, if you can't beat them, join them!

I think I'll stay neutral for now.

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
I have created a mini online and simple database which permits visitors to input and share data about limited editions and view the contents. All you do to add data is open up the manufacturer and add your name and relevent information about a limited edition. I can add manufacturers or stockists as the need arrises. I have included a few examples of future limited editions to give you an idea of the content that can be added:-

Limited Edition Models information database

An RSS feed is available for the database so the contents can be fed anywhere. Is this sort of thing of interest?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
With any collectable and model trains can definitely fit that description you will have speculators. While some of you may feel some level of ambivalence towards this segment of our hobby this is common practice in stamp and coin collecting. Here "advanced" collectors can use the proceeds of one sale to finance the purchase of other material.

In Linn's Stamp Weekly there is a section on stamps to look out for as possible candidates for appreciation. The stamps highlighted are still available at a reasonable cost allowing anyone with interest to get in "on the ground floor" so to speak.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Do special edition keep the fixed price sold by the manufacturer.
Will the SE model have to remain in pristine condition and not taken out of box.
SE model if run becomes second hand and therefore becomes reduced in price.
I have found that normal issues bought, used and then sold on at a later date to a dealer or at swap meet - prices offered by said dealers can be as low as a tenth of the original price paid when new.
Most dealers seem to want models in near pristine and boxed - dealers are and always will be the ones to make a profit. If you can find a private buyer then the loss can then be reduced.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
i actually find it rather amusing to see the prices that people pay for models that could be had for far less if they were patient enough to renumber one. it really is such a monor job. especially on bachmann models where the numbers practically fall of all by themselves.

What does annoy me is when its both the collectors and the runners both desperatly trying to get the same model. for example the Bluie pullman and the APT. i live in hope of the railroad range solving this problem.

Peter

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
There are collectors who like things unaltered and "fit for display".

And there are collectors who like things that have been altered as this has an air of exclusivity.

Different classes of collector.

For all collectors the chase is part of the game and the more difficult it is to obtain something the more desirable it is.

Thinking about this nobody here has mentioned diecast toy collectors and that market is as big if not bigger than model trains.

All diecast models are statics and therefore all have to be classified as "fit for display" only.

Every diecast toy collector effectively has a similar mindset to those who collect model trains.

The view surely has to be that everybody is entitled to enjoy the hobby in their own way without any form of prejudice.

It would be a pity if collectors are being put off from joining Model Rail Forum for fear of jibes that they may receive.

And we do (uniquely?) have a dedicated collector section so the open invitation is there.

Am I right or wrong with this?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
Provision of the dedicated collector section neatly solves the problem.

A problem solved is a problem that doesn't exist - it's an ex-problem.

·
Premium Member
3,614 Posts
I know. why dont the manufacturers each have their own clubs?
they could bring out a magazine now and then and have collectors edition models.
Then for the rest of us there could be a good supply of models to keep us running and to keep the shelves stocked.

I cant help feeling that alot of this scarcity is fiction.
I do stamps too. you should try buying a princess diana presentation pack in welsh. there are plenty about but beacuse of all the scarcity stories they go for stupid money.

Peter

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
My own view on this is that you only pay what you are willing to pay for an item. You do not have to buy it!

Conversely there are those that have to have one regardless of expense. That's their choice.

Personally I have never paid more than £50.00 for a loco.

Regards

John

·
Registered
521 Posts
QUOTE (pedromorgan @ 12 Mar 2007, 13:55) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I cant help feeling that a lot of this scarcity is fiction.
. . . there are plenty about but because of all the scarcity stories they go for stupid money.

Peter
Excellent point. It has happened with petrol on occasions.
It pays speculators to talk it up because THEY profit hugely by doing so.
In a way, this topic plays right into their hands.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I know Dapol mostly do wagons but their site lists all the limited editions they produce for other organisations/businesses. Bachmann have tended to do so in their magazine as well. I think though we have one or two silly instances lately with the 158 and two Bachmann Club limited editions. Personally If I were Bachmann I would bring out the Scotrail 158 as they know it will sell but perhaps they have some kind of agreement not to ?

·
Premium Member
2,650 Posts
QUOTE It pays speculators to talk it up because THEY profit hugely by doing so

How does this apply to model trains?

Future models have yet to be released and yet it is pretty obvious to the initiated which models will be sought after.

Collectors and modellers after these models are positive and proactive and go out their way to make every effort to ensure that they will pick up one of these models.

For these specific models a laid back approach will normally gaurantee that you don't pick one up!

What is being said here is that it is doing a diservice to point folk in the direction of those models that will be in short supply. Is this the understanding?

Happy modelling
Gary

·
Registered
521 Posts
I'd be surprised if anyone else is struggling with the concept of "two facets";
the concept of an upside AND a downside existing simultaneously.
Just one of them is vividly demoed in the post above.
A swift re-read of what was actually written should clear up any difficulty, especially Pedro's post.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts