Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
9,844 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With Dapol's announcement of small production runs of the Class 29 diesel following on from Heljan's Falcon and class 17 and Bachmann's prototype Deltic, have the manufacturer's found a new market to exploit and can we modelers expect a more varied future?

I am wondering what the chances are of some rather less obscure steam locomotives being produced in similar small quantities or is the variation in chassis characteristics a major stumbling block due to the cost / difficulties in design?

David

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
This is a common process on the Continent with a substantial amount of Trix/Maerklins output being "one time series only". There are good and bad sides to this. If it's a model you really want and the numbers sell quickly then you're stuck you would have to take your chances on Ebay or do without. I would prefer the model to sit in the catalogue with the rest of the items so that it is more readily available rather than having to fork out quickly when you hadn't saved for an item or miss out. There is also the issue of jacking up the price because it's a limited edition.

QUOTE I am wondering what the chances are of some rather less obscure steam locomotives being produced in similar small quantities or is the variation in chassis characteristics a major stumbling block due to the cost / difficulties in design? This is not an issue in Germany where this regularly happens but the UK market may be too small. Look at the demand for Caledonian and Highland rail outline yet nothing (other than a reproduction of a very basic 1960's model) has been released in this area.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
While MaTrix actively promotes their one off items, Brawa stock is all effectively limited edition and apparently only lasts on the shelves for a matter of months!

John

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
When you consider that the majority of the BR standard, and most of the major SR and GWR, along with a good smattering of LMS classes, perhaps it is time that the LNER types were considered.

The majority of diesel types in the UK have also been covered with the exception of the pilot classes of type 1 and the metrovick co-bo.

As to limited editions perhaps locos like Lion and GT3 could be a possibility, I certainly think they would sell without to many problems.

Also as I have said before why only locomotives? There are plenty of unusual coaches and wagons out there which many of us would willingly pay for.

Regards

·
Chief mouser
11,775 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 6 Mar 2008, 21:06) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'd better get saving for that G4/5 then!

"Just" the G4/5 Neil?

Regards

·
Registered
982 Posts
Well , apart from Class 14 Teddybear, the main diesel classes are covered. I suppose you could consider Baby Deltics or Class 21/29s. There are classes of AC and DC electrics that could command a following, but I'm not sure that the lack of catenary wouldn't really limit sales.

My hobby horse is the need for pre grouping 4-4-0 and 0-6-0 designs. Heljan have hinted that they may look at steam locos, but to me this is a possible direction for them or another enterprising manufacturer like Dapol. I know that at the pregrouping level there are lots of locos out there that have very limited geographical areas that might make them less attractive. However I believe that some models are just so attractive that people would buy them in their own right whether you model LMS,LNER,GWR or SR

I think Heljan or Dapol could bring out a range of locos in the same way as Heljan did the Falcon. Limited runs of 800 locos of 3-4 liveries, with an option to follow up with further number variations etc if demand warranted it.

My wants :-

Caley 4-4-0. Probably a Pickersgill one because these lasted into BR ownership.
Caley Jumbo 0-6-0
Reid NBR 4-4-0
NBR J35 0-6-0
LNWR Cauliflower
LNWR Precedent
NER 4-4-0
Midland 3F
You can go on and on........

2400 models seems to be viable quantity(from Falcon experience). If these locos can be produced in several liveries to make up the full 2400 there would be less risk. Just to give it added emphasis, tell people that its a limited edition and they will go out and buy it. I personally dislike this last bit , but there is no doubt this helped the frenzied sales of both Falcon and Prototype Deltic. I'm sure there are loads of people out there who wouldn't have bought one if released as a mainstream model, but who simply had to have it to be in the "owners club" because it was a one off opportunity.

Russell

·
Registered
342 Posts
This was always the way forward for the manufacturers it just took a while to find it out the point is if you say to people here is an item of rolling stock which you might be interested in BUT if you want one youll have to get in quick people WILL get their wallets out otherwise they will miss out and so if you can guarantee enough sales to cover the cost of the production run which seems to be around the 3000 units mark it is worth doing

the great shame is that it is locos only being done and not wagons a limited edition run of catfish or an upgraded presflo would go down well with me and with wagons you could do them as a set of 4 or 6 to get the "value" of each individual sale up I think with wagons that most modellers do not want to buy one single wagon anyway so 4 or 6 wagons with differant numbers would be ideal

If the 22 and or the 17 are successful who knows maybe heljan or dapol will go for the Teddy bear or baby deltic next year I'd buy one

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
You may have to think quick neil. I got the DRG verson in January last year (ordered March the year before!)

It is a nice locomotive, well detailed, runs well, sounds great but is a bit underpowered. It pulls 18 2 axel wagons up a 2% grade just. The DRG 57.4 (ex K.W.St.E. Hh) on the other hand pulls 25 2 axel wagons (my maximum train length except for "specials") up the same grade with no issues. Admittdely my layout is based in Wurttemberg (close to the bavarian border!) so I do prefer the ex K.W.St.E. outline locomotives.

If you want a really nice locomotive get a Brawa class 75.0. Truely stunning.

John

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
QUOTE (john woodall @ 8 Mar 2008, 03:50) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You may have to think quick neil. I got the DRG verson in January last year (ordered March the year before!)

John is correct, my local hobby store pre-ordered two dozen engines by mistake (he wanted three w/o and one w/ sound, but somehow wound up receiving 3x6 engines w/o sound and six w/ sound...), and only has one each left on his shelf. He´s the only dealer I know who still has DC engines without sound at all.

The Brawa 75 is a great engine and a true work of art, however, when I shopped for a 2-6-2 tank engine a year or so ago, and I compared the württ. 75 by Brawa, the bad. 75 by Bachmann-Liliput and the sax. 75 by Gützold (all Ep. I), I went for the saxonian engine because I liked it best as far as details, finish and quality was concerned, with the Brawa coming in very (!) close second. Then again, I dont like Württemberg engines very much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts