Model Railway Forum banner
21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
I think the legislation only applies to the use of lead in electronics and electrical goods I've seen a lot mentioned recently about this and from what I read things like liquid lead whitemetal kits etc are NOT included in the legislation but solder which is used in electronics IS

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
>only applies to the use of lead in electronics
The key letters to watch out for are "ROHS" which is short for Reduction Of Hazardous Substances.

One way to check if the lead ban is universal is to see what is happening to anglers. Have their weights been banned. If yes, then it's probably universal. I never saw the attraction in angling myself.

David

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Inland waterways being another interest of mine (because of their connection with the Industrial Revolution and influence on railway construction) and I don't think anglers have used genuine lead weights for some time. These weights were discouraged because of the poisoning of swans and other water birds who scooped up lost/discarded lead weights from the beds of streams/rivers/canals and consequently suffered.

The main reason I believe that lead is being removed from solder is because of the culmative buildup of lead when people work full-time with it; there is a degree of lead vapour produced every time a joint is made. I spent two years in the electronics industry and then twenty-eight years in scientific research, much of which I spent soldering up wiring connections, fortunately mostly in well-ventilated large laboratories, so I don't think I've suffered.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Premium Member
8,102 Posts
QUOTE there is a degree of lead vapour produced every time a joint is made

How long would this vapour remain in the air after you had been soldering?
I have been doing quite a bit recently as I have been improving the connections between my track.

The reason I ask is that I sometimes have kids in to see my layout and my little boy is in there almost everyday.
The room is not well ventilated as the backdrops block access to the windows.

·
Registered
4,545 Posts
Lead vapour won't hang around for long. And if you only work for relatively short periods there should be no problem. If you are not working in a well-ventilated space it is possible to get bench-mounting filters which will move the air away from your work area and pass it through a filter to remove harmful vapours. Sorry, but I don't have any contact details to hand. Maplin, RS Components and the like are possible sources.

Regards,
John Webb

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 22 Apr 2006, 02:57) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>How long would this vapour remain in the air after you had been soldering?
I have been doing quite a bit recently as I have been improving the connections between my track.

The reason I ask is that I sometimes have kids in to see my layout and my little boy is in there almost everyday.
The room is not well ventilated as the backdrops block access to the windows.

This is just getting silly. I cannot believe that anybody is going to do themselves or anybody else for that matter, any harm from soldering the odd couple of dozen joints on a model railway. Yes lead is dangerous and yes the fumes from lead is dangerous but come on, we're not talking massive doses here and as for considering installing fume extraction equipment - well I despair. Just about everything you come in contact with has an element of risk to it - it's called life. Do you wear a mask when you fill your car with diesel - it's cancerous you know, do you go out when its sunny - the rays are cancerous you know, do you breathe - it's dangerous you know!

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think you've just summed up the entire European Union in one sentence there. It is worth pointing out that when they took lead out of petrol it was replaced by something far worse (no change there then). What you doing soldering anyway don't you know you could burn youself?

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
QUOTE (37197 @ 23 Apr 2006, 09:05) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>And those soldering iron burns can be quite nasty

Don't forget the hole I burned in the carpet when I knocked over the iron and left the room. My ears are still ringing
or when I spilled a bottle of acid flux on the dinning room table and in my haste to clean it up I knocked over a crystal vase and shattered it
I'm deaf in one ear now. But that was a while ago and now I can do these things and there's silence and she no longer whinges when I buy a new loco or two or three. I like silence and being singele

·
Registered
764 Posts
Government health warning
The use of soldering irons can seriously damage your relationship.
Or
Soldering whilst married may reduce your chances of having children!!
I'm surprised the solder doesn't have the warning do not chew on the packaging just for our American friends.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I burnt the kitchen work top with my soldiering iron and spilt paint stripper on the table, he he
, god the f*****g ear bashing I got for that, as for my stock what she don't know wont hurt her, if she found out how much i've spent on southwest chip's she'd go mental
. I've bought a new digital camera and it's coming tomorrow i'm gonna get some serious grief for that
(what do you want that for!!, blah, blah, blah).

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
That's another "skill" that's needed to do this hobby, the "skill" to "sneak" that new item into the house without "she in charge of the purse strings" finding out or it's goodbye to all the benefits of having a good woman in your life, I think you know which benefit would be missed most, wink wink.

·
Administrator
10,693 Posts
I had an accident far worse than any of those... My silver/grey Pullman has a nasty melt mark where the iron swung round on the worktop when I wasn't looking. It was many years ago, but this was an engine that got hurt! 9-)

David

·
Registered
764 Posts
Looking at some of the locos and carriages you see going with damage on ebay or at swopmeets that is quite a common occurence. Or left on window sill in the blazing sun although you'd have to be really unlucky to do that on the one day of the year it is actually sunny

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 24 Apr 2006, 08:09) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Looking at some of the locos and carriages you see going with damage on ebay or at swopmeets that is quite a common occurence. Or left on window sill in the blazing sun although you'd have to be really unlucky to do that on the one day of the year it is actually sunny

What "blazing sun" in the UK and what year was that

Ozzie21

·
Registered
764 Posts
QUOTE (Ozzie21 @ 23 Apr 2006, 23:42) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>What "blazing sun" in the UK and what year was that

Ozzie21
Its usually the day before I set off on my summer holidays. Then sometimes the day after I get back. I seem to remember the weather was better when I was a child, so that pees all over this global warming rubbish. Most of which is caused by the carbon dioxide emissions from politicians, environmentalists, scientists and newsreaders telling us about how bad it is.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.