Model Railway Forum banner
41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
So there's your answer then its hot in England every 20 years. Except in the South East where they have been on a hosepipe ban since 1840!!

·
Registered
141 Posts
How can you say that when we have such a wonderful health service - oh well alright, it's not actually that wonderful but we do have a health service - we do have a health service don't we? Thinking about it though, they've just sold off quite a big chunk of the my local hospital for offices or a pizza hut or something. Why can't they make funeral directors a government run organisation - they'd never let us die then! Be bit of a conflict of interests though I suppose.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The Leeds General Infirmary has a McDonalds situated on the top floor above the cardiac wards. And according to that addled bird in charge of health the NHS is in the best shape its ever been. What do they put in the water at Westminster?
Oh probably delivered throught Victorian lead pipes!!! And drunk out of tin cups. Well that explains it then all mad as a hatter due to acute lead and arsenic poisoning.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE Just as well it's not sunny more often as the people that claim to be governing the country would only find a way to tax us on it

I'm astonished they haven't. Thats exactly why I moved to Australia as you get hammered with tax every way you look in the UK. If it isn't VAT then it's capital gains or some other form of stealth tax. I just got sick of the government taxing the f
k out of my earnings and then getting double whammied at the shops. And the petrol pump...
I pay a third of what I used to pay at home for petrol here.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
QUOTE (neil_s_wood @ 25 Apr 2006, 09:11) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I'm astonished they haven't. Thats exactly why I moved to Australia as you get hammered with tax every way you look in the UK. If it isn't VAT then it's capital gains or some other form of stealth tax. I just got sick of the government taxing the f
k out of my earnings and then getting double whammied at the shops. And the petrol pump...
I pay a third of what I used to pay at home for petrol here.

When I left Scotland in 1974 things weren't that bad but the influences of the common market, the conservatives and outside pushing from the US were changing things. Oz was a breath of fresh air, everything was cheaper but then wages were lower too but the low prices made up for it all. The dollar was almost 2.15 yank money so model trains were cheap hence my intial switch to US modelling. Now things are catching up as the yanks globalise everything and our puppet on a string little Johnny dances whenever George Bush pulls his strings. Now petrol climbings like a rat up a drainpipe and I may have to sell my SS Commodore as its starting to infringe on the model budget and buy something sensible
still at only a $1.25 a litre it's a lot cheaper than you guys pay. By the way how did the UK ever manage to survive Maggie Thatcher. Must have been like the days of Cromwell.

Ozzie21

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE By the way how did the UK ever manage to survive Maggie Thatcher. Must have been like the days of Cromwell.

It was! You should have seen the miners strike. It was almost like civil war round our way, (Fife).

QUOTE I may have to sell my SS Commodore as its starting to infringe on the model budget and buy something sensible

I had to sell my Land Rover Discovery for that very reason and that was a Diesel one!

QUOTE Now things are catching up as the yanks globalise everything and our puppet on a string little Johnny dances whenever George Bush pulls his strings.

Yep, house prices have doubled in Melbourne and Sydney is fast catching up with London.

·
Registered
763 Posts
QUOTE (Gofer @ 25 Apr 2006, 08:16) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>I think when Queenie knighted Maggie she actually meant to behead her but lost the nerve at the last minute.
I wonder how much it cost her for the peerage!!
Nice to see her young protegee keeping up the good work (Blair that is not Cameron)

·
Registered
487 Posts
I must be in another world from the rest or missing a point. Can anyone quote one a spectacular deed that the two Bs have done for the country or is this asking the impossible.

B = Tony Blair B = Gordon Brown. Perhaps both soon to be "knighted" for services given to this country.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You'd probably end up in the French half of Canada. Celine Dion and Bryan Adams...2 good reasons for not going to Canada!
As for Blair and Brown they have managed to make their own people hate them almost as much as the rest of the world. Kind of a downmarket version of the Tories. Amazing that since Brown didn't put up fuel duty at the budget the price has gone up by 3p.

·
Premium Member
7,397 Posts
QUOTE As for Blair and Brown they have managed to make their own people hate them almost as much as the rest of the world. Kind of a downmarket version of the Tories.

I actually voted for them in 96 or 97 as I felt the same way about the Tories. Last time I was home in the Uk everyone I spoke to said they were the exact same as the Tories. I think this cash for peerages thing really underlines it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
The only thing is that Blair and Brown have managed to do a far poorer job than the Tories, we must be at an all time low, the amount of money they are wasting is unbelievable billion's upon billion's of £'s someone needs a severe kicking for the mess we are in
, fuel is silly prices £1.01 per litre for diesel where I live
, redundancies in the NHS, and now the latest cock up loads of foreign national crims serving their sentences and not being deported upon release, what!!!!
. Definitely considering getting out of this place

·
Registered
141 Posts
QUOTE (double00 @ 25 Apr 2006, 18:48) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I must be in another world from the rest or missing a point. Can anyone quote one a spectacular deed that the two Bs have done for the country or is this asking the impossible.

B = Tony Blair B = Gordon Brown. Perhaps both soon to be "knighted" for services given to this country.

Let's just hope that should the desicion be made to knight the two 'B's', Queenie doesn't lose her nerve this time.

·
Registered
763 Posts
You think this thread got a bit tangled up you ought've seen some of the ones on the rails forum. Before they shut it down that is!
Anyway politicians... My advice would be to weight them down with huge amounts of solid lead nver mind the liquid type.

·
Registered
139 Posts
QUOTE (spongebob @ 26 Apr 2006, 18:52) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>You think this thread got a bit tangled up you ought've seen some of the ones on the rails forum. Before they shut it down that is!
Anyway politicians... My advice would be to weight them down with huge amounts of solid lead nver mind the liquid type.

What happened to the Rails forum
, gotta agree we rarely kept on thread

41 - 60 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.