Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Hi Robert Nice to see some progress and to see some trains running. Although I have yet to build my shed I hope to have a little more in width and length than you have there with luck starting in the spring. Its interesting watching your progress as
a lot of your problems if we can call them that are ones that I am considering. The height of your baseboards the duck under and multi level being some . What you have done so far looks very good and the infa- red track sensors look very interesting.
I like the look of the Peco bullhead track to, do they make all the code 75 points with bullhead rail now? Thanks for sharing . Jim

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Good to hear that Peco will be releasing these other points in the not to distant future maybe in time for me once the shed is built . I agree with 34c about the track work flowing through the platforms something about curved platforms just adds to the look
. As for O I think OO is expensive and O is twice the size and even much more than twice the price let alone the space needed, definitely a lottery win. Can I ask if your base board above the storage area will be removable for access? Like you I would like the whole base boards scenic with the storage hidden, mine under a removable hillside. Plenty of those on the Settle and Carlisle nice choice by the way. That is where the infa red or camera's will come into there own with the removable scenic only required in the event of a breakdown, derailment ect. Jim

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
I can see why you would love O gauge but for me I like steam engines big or small mainly British, North, South, East or West . The larger ones pulling eight coaches is my aim so with the space I hope to have it has to be OO gauge. Like you Robert I would really struggle with anything smaller otherwise I would have gone for N. Thanks for explaining your storage I can see how that is going to work .I'm pretty much with you on the shunting running trains is what I'm looking at but I may have a small goods yard just in case I fancy a change once in a while. Jim

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Hi Robert Nice to see your layout making progress i can understand your frustration i think most on hear get that at some point . But looking at your pictures your making some good progress to me this is looking good. I agree with Alan it's your layout and it's not that your going to on tour with it. As long as you get enjoyment from it then all else is irrelevant anyone can pick holes in the best of model layouts most have to make compromises in any case due to space and there lies the crux. Keep up the good work and thanks for sharing. Jim

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Hi Robert Looking fine i like the castle ruin and the way you have blended the your scenics with the backscene. Always impresses me when people get this right and can make or break the overall look. I also like the curved back scene i was not sure about this as i thought i would use this space to fill with buildings and or trees but what you have is very effective. Anyway looking good. Jim

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Hi Robert its all looking good the green matting will no doubt receive some attention in time but for now it looks ok. Looking at old pictures it would seem that they were kept clear mainly of bushes and trees near the track at least up till the railway Nationalization . I like your backscene it looks just like your looking across the countryside and blends in very well. Jim

·
Premium Member
646 Posts
Hi Robert. Love the trees yes the Settle & Carlisle dry stone walls mostly . I watch a few You-Tubers one in particular Yorkshires Dales, he has a loft layout depicting a single track country line with a couple of small country stations it looks great he has a lot of dry stone walls made quite simply . Some might think them not good enough but when you look at the whole scene they work. If you have some spare time take a look he has done a lot of videos and some on how he has done them. He is modelling the same period as you. A wall or fence is needed will help join the near and back scenes even more though they are pretty good as they are. Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts