Model Railway Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year on Littlewoods Direct, I managed to get four Hornby train sets all DCC ready to build up my inventory all at half price. This was last February.

So this year, I have been watching closely at their sale, but up until Tuesday there was nothing spectacular to tempt me, (just a few pounds off).

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the advertised 'Mallard train set' had been reduced from £130 to £103. When I clicked on the picture, a scrolled write-up appeared which stated that it was in fact the 70th Anniversary 18ct Gold Plated version.(5000 limited edition)
As even Hattons are still selling this at £120 I was sorely tempted.

I watched on a daily basis and was rewarded on Tuesday at 3pm, when I was astounded to see it reduced to £65.

My fingers were shaking and heart pounding as I frantically went through the ordering process. I also managed to find a valid 'free next day postage' voucher on the net, so the total price including postage was £63.61p (-2% vat).
Needless to say, it was showing 'sold out' by 5pm when I next looked.

I am really chuffed, it is an excellent model, and all I need to find now is a suitable showcase for it.

I have a feeling that Littlewoods may be getting out of the Hornby business, as out of 18 items on their website, 15 are 'sold out'.

The three remaining are 'Royal train set' - £200, 'Irish mail' - £140, and 'Heart of Midlothian' - reduced from £140 to £90.

AlanB

·
Registered
100 Posts
QUOTE (alanb @ 22 Jan 2009, 15:56) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>Last year on Littlewoods Direct, I managed to get four Hornby train sets all DCC ready to build up my inventory all at half price. This was last February.

So this year, I have been watching closely at their sale, but up until Tuesday there was nothing spectacular to tempt me, (just a few pounds off).

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the advertised 'Mallard train set' had been reduced from £130 to £103. When I clicked on the picture, a scrolled write-up appeared which stated that it was in fact the 70th Anniversary 18ct Gold Plated version.(5000 limited edition)
As even Hattons are still selling this at £120 I was sorely tempted.

I watched on a daily basis and was rewarded on Tuesday at 3pm, when I was astounded to see it reduced to £65.

My fingers were shaking and heart pounding as I frantically went through the ordering process. I also managed to find a valid 'free next day postage' voucher on the net, so the total price including postage was £63.61p (-2% vat).
Needless to say, it was showing 'sold out' by 5pm when I next looked.

I am really chuffed, it is an excellent model, and all I need to find now is a suitable showcase for it.

I have a feeling that Littlewoods may be getting out of the Hornby business, as out of 18 items on their website, 15 are 'sold out'.

The three remaining are 'Royal train set' - £200, 'Irish mail' - £140, and 'Heart of Midlothian' - reduced from £140 to £90.

AlanB

Thats a cracking price, I paid £89.00 before Xmas and I thought I did well. It sits in the ol display cabinet now.

Charley

1 - 2 of 2 Posts